Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uh Oh

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:55 AM

ive been mesing around with internet on linuix...i booted into xp to get directions from mapquest and..i got a connection..buit a wrong ip adress? the ip adress is TOTALLY different from my normal one and i get a connection..just not one thatll connect to the net..and ive already tryed reinstalling my adapter. also the internet works FINE on linux? this is bad..any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

If you are going through a router, try shutting it down (unplug if necessary) for 15 seconds or so and your PC, and then power them back on.

Give the router time to re-connect to your ISP, and then try again.

Just a suggestion, please let us know if it makes any difference.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

If for some reason your DCHP server got screwed up, you will need to make your IP and DNS addresses static. Please contact your ISP for the correct values to put there.

Edited by madman6510, 20 May 2007 - 05:59 PM.

#4 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

i have a hunch...my firewall..is set to change my ip when appliccable...that COULD be the issue i think

#5 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:11 PM

I know my numbers for static...i shall not post them here..but i know them..now how do i enter them?

#6 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:20 PM

Go to control panel, and click on Network Connections. Then right click the symbol for your internet connection, and go to properties. Scroll down to TCP/IP, and press properties. Then tell it to use the numbers you have and enter the numbers.

#7 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:31 PM

Ok...wow..im SO lost. Im not gonna post my IP adress but i need help filling things out.

IP Adress: **.**.***.***
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Thethingunderneathsubnetmask: 192.168.0.1

Primary DNS Server:
Alternate DNS Server:

I dont know my DNS server and i dont wanna call cogeco. Is there a way i can find automaticcaly..and is all the other numbers right?

#8 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:24 PM

Hmm, that subnet mask and gateway are the same as mine.\

Try 205.171.3.65 as the primary DNS, and 205.171.2.65 as the alt.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

According to this page your DNS should be assigned automatically: http://www.cogeco.com/en/nt4ras_o.htm

You can also google for DNS servers, there's a ton of them out there that you can use.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

yes but when i put configure i speratley it wont allow me to autodetect DNS. i will google for the servers now but wow i dont know how this happen. and its not my router..its the computer. because my brother uses the same router/adapter and his is fine

thank you to all ..ill try in the morning its 12am atm XD

Edited by moomoo, 24 May 2007 - 11:06 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:36 AM

Copy the settings from your brother's computer (except for the actual IP address of the computer) - or use the Network Setup Wizard to make a copy of the settings on your brother's computer and then transfer it to your computer.

Since you don't want to call cogeco, could it be that there are restrictions that they place on the number of computers that can be hooked up to their network? Or, could it be that they don't recognize the address of your computer and won't let it on the network?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:17 PM

no restrictions.. me and my brother have the EXACT SAME tcp/ip settings..except hes on a 2000...and its a little different to grab...and they arent reading the IP Adress...i dont have a clue why its doing this...i could try also to pull the IP Settings off my linux..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users