Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Welcome Screen

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kdude22

kdude22

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:11 AM

when i press windows key + L to go to the welcome screen, the box to enter my password automatically somes up, but previously it has not done that. i have done a hijackthis log and nothing was found in it that could be causing it. i know this seems trivial but it could signify something more threatening.

I think there might be a setting in the registry that could change that behavior on the welcome screen, any thoughts?

~*This post has been edited to remove the HJT log file. Logs may only be reviewed by HJT team members. - rigel*~

Edited by rigel, 21 May 2007 - 06:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

I think you're infected (but am not an expert at HJT logs). I'd suggest reading the directions on the following page and posting your HJT log there: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kdude22

kdude22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:33 AM

I was directed here by rosty

he said the log was clean but i jsut posted that in case you needed it.

is there anything you can do to help me? (ie the registry?)

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:06 PM

Isn't it supposed to do that? :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:01 PM

Hi kdude22, :thumbsup: to BC

Is Windows fully updated or do you have more than one user account? Does it do this when you first turn on your computer or only when you use the Windows key + L shortcut?

If you have .NET framework 1.1 installed and it is not fully updated you will have the behavior you are talking about occur. Go to windows update and make sure that you are fully updated.

If you have more than one user account you will also have to go through the welcome screen.

That said I have to kind of echo Sneakycyber's thoughts that since the whole point of the Windows key + L is to take you to the log on screen in the first place, it seems to me like it is working as it is supposed to.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#6 kdude22

kdude22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:20 PM

this is what i used to see on the welcome screen after a windows key + L

Posted Image

now, this is what i see

Posted Image

and after i click away from the text box, i see this

Posted Image

notice how it does not tell me how many programs i have running or even that i am logged on... even when i am logged on

#7 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:43 PM

Ahh, pictures. Pictures really do say a thousand words.

I notice that you have a symbol in the upper left corner of your log-on screen. Are you using software to do this or did you do a registry edit? If you are using software, have you tried turning this software off to see if this is the issue? If you did a registry edit do you remember exactly what you did so you can undo it?

I would try undoing any edits to your registry or turning off the software you use to see if they are issue or not.

Edited by Ronbo, 20 May 2007 - 07:44 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#8 kdude22

kdude22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:25 PM

that is the fingerprint reader built into my microsoft-brand keyboard
i have had this since i got my laptop, and the issue only started recently
no registry edits were required for this

i hope that helps. any other ideas?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:24 AM

This could be that you're now required (for some reason) to use a password to logon. To change this, go to Start...Run...and type in "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and press Enter. In the next screen will be a check box about requiring users to enter a password to logon. Uncheck it, click on Apply, fill in the password, click OK and it shouldn't bother you again.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 kdude22

kdude22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

no change. so you dont think there is a registry setting that is doing this?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

The steps that I outlined should've changed the registry settings. Have you installed any security programs or any tweaking utilities recently? That may be locking the settings "for your own protection".

#12 kdude22

kdude22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:33 PM

i dont ahve any new security software except what i first installed. i have not changed anything since

#13 AzraelTheDarkOne

AzraelTheDarkOne

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

Well, this was on my laptop too. Eventually, windows decides (by majority logins per user, ie: you if there is only 1) that there is a "main user" for the computer. After it does so, the password box opens automatically. there is no virus, yet a sweep per week is always a good idea. McAfee is the best for this purpose. Otherwise, your computer is fine. This edit is in registry...but no one I know can figure out how to change it. Curently, you have normal XP behavior.

Edited by AzraelTheDarkOne, 21 May 2007 - 09:46 PM.

#14 kdude22

kdude22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:48 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: whew! thanks a bunch. i was mainly worried that this was a symptom of a virus that i had and didnt know about. sorry to trouble you with this, and thank you again! :trumpet:

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:39 PM

Better to Ask and be virus free then ignore it and have your computer crash.. :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users