Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:21 AM

hi guys :flowers:
the problem i am havng is my dvd drive will not read any disc (not major problem as i have two)what happened was i had a new hard drive installed but when i got it back the drive were in the wrong order the one that was in the computer when i bought it was originally drive d and now it is drive e and the other i fitted later was drive and now its drive d my original os
was windows xp home edition but now i have xp pro the device manager says that the hardware is functioning propely
anyone have any ideas

the drive is a matshi ta cd-rw 8572

Edited by mz30, 20 May 2007 - 08:24 AM.

god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

Try going to the Device Manager, uninstall the drive, then reboot, and see if Windows will pick it up.

Right-click My Computer / Hardware tab / Device Manager button
Locate the drive, right-click it, and select Uninstall.
Reboot.

Have you tried updating the drivers?

See if one of these helps:
How to troubleshoot common problems that may occur when a Windows XP-based computer cannot read a CD or a DVD
How to Troubleshoot CD-ROM or DVD -ROM Read Issues
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:41 PM

thanks tg1911
have already unistalled and re installed no joy
went to the two links earlier and no joy either
there are no updates available for the drive ,as i said earlier its not really a problem as i have another drive and to be honest i never really use that either
thnks for your help
much apprecited
mz30
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

i had a new hard drive installed

Did you check to make sure the cables were securely attached, and that there were no damaged pins, on the connectors?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:28 PM

hi tg1911
i am assuming that they are as when i put the disc in the green light starts to flicker s if it is trying to read the disc but then just stops and nothing else happens.
i will if i have to remove the case and check the pins bt can you let me know if that would be nessecary as there is power getting to it and the device manager says that it is working fine
thanks again
mz30 :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

There is still a possibility of a bent or missing pin.. Even if the IDE cable isn't connected the drive will read and access the media as long as there is power. But without the cable or all the pins it won't be sent anywhere

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

thanks for the reply Sneakycyber