Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Freezes Computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crazyluna82

crazyluna82

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:50 AM

I thought I had fixed the problem but apparently the problem is still there.

First, the basics: I am running a Windows XP (upgraded from ME) on a Compaq Presario notebook. This computer is about 6 years old and have been reformatted a few times. The most recent reformat was performed in May 2005. I didn't actively use this computer until June of last year. This computer has 3 partitioned drives and everything that I keep is not in the main drive (where the O/S is located).

The problem:
My computer began showing signs of a "problem" about a week ago when it did not respond when I was shutting down. When I clicked on "shut down" instead of shutting down it just showed my desktop. I tried several times with no avail so I just forced it by pressing the power button. That was just the beginning.

The next time I start up the computer, it was fine and didn't give me any problems until I went online. Before I go any further I should mention that I use two different internet connections: one at my own place and one at my parents' place. The connection is fast at my place but at my parents is very slow (even though they're both ADSL).

The problem began when I brought my computer to my own place (which is the first time I have done that) and logged online. The first time was fine, I could log onto Windows Live Messenger and stuff. Then I opened up a file that I downloaded and from then it seems to cause some type of problem that I tried to fix (but I can't be sure that's the cause and I have deleted it already). My taskbar would freeze first (no popups after mouseover on the programs running in the taskbar, can't click on quick launch icons etc.). Also whenever I try to run Windows Live Messenger the computer would lag (sometimes even freeze) and then the program will tell me I can't log on - I tried the troubleshoot and it tells me the connection is fine.

Unfortunately I didn't have any anti-spyware programs installed prior to this problem, only an outdated McAfee virus program. So I went ahead and downloaded all sorts of programs to find out whether I have spywares/malwares/adwares/virus/etc. Found unsafe files, cleaned/removed those. I checked my startup processes and found some malicious program, cleaned/removed that. Checked for virus, found one, got that cleaned/removed. Even checked my registry and removed "extra unused" registries. Also defragmented.

I completed all of the above throughout the week and when I went back to my parents' place at the end of the week the computer and internet was fine when I surfed, except it was very slow and I couldn't log onto Windows Live Messenger. If I don't go online, the computer is fine.

Now I'm back at my own place and the freezing is happening again. Right now as I'm typing this message, I can't access the taskbar again. If I try to click on too many things it will completely freeze the computer and I will have to force reboot it. I have been doing that several times tonight and I still don't know what the problem is.

I hope this is detailed enough. Thanks in advance for any advice and help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:28 AM

I'd suggest that you try these free, online scans to see if your system is still infected:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

If you can't access them, then I'd suggest that you read the instructions at the following link and post a HiJackThis log there: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 crazyluna82

crazyluna82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:32 PM

Kind of an update: so last night after posting the previous message, I thought maybe it's the heat from the computer so I propped up my laptop on one side to allow more cooling capacity. The computer didn't freeze on me then.

This morning I followed the suggestion on running an online scan. Can't access the first one and when I try to download the applet in the second one the computer froze. I made two attempts and both times my compute froze (I also notice the internet was "frozen" too) I notice one thing that if I download a program by running it through the internet instead of saving it first to my computer it will freeze. I am going to try to do the HiJackThis Log after work.

Thanks!

Edited by crazyluna82, 20 May 2007 - 06:34 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:27 AM

If your computer is overheating then it's time to give it a good clean.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:27 AM

Laptops are very sensitive to ventilation - I'd suggest blowing out the insides with some compressed air, then getting a hard, flat surface to put it on when using it (or even a "chill mat"). I used to lay my laptop on the bed and found many unusual problems with it - then I propped it up on a board and it's been fine since!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users