Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Types Double Letters Plus More

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zippyzoe

zippyzoe

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:57 AM

Let me start by saying I LOVE THIS SITE. Most times I can do a search and find what I'm looking for.

This time it's not so easy.

I having a problem with my destop computer and it runs Windows XP.

Today, I started typing an email and each keystroke gets me Double Letters. Like when I type a.....I get aa. When I hit the backstroke key, both letters are erased.

I rebooted and this is what happened.

1st Floppy Disk Failure (80)

I hit F1 to proceed. Next

Unknown Flash Type
Boot From CD

**I hit enter and nothing happens. Puter sits for a minute.

Boot from CD

So, I start clicking my mouse.

Another minute goes by and finally everything starts to load.

I get to my login menu and type in my password -- its a simple "aa" so I only have to type the a.

I start up my email program and start an email and still "ddoouubblle lleetteerrs".

Everything else works fine.

So, I decide to disconnect my keyboard. I notice my keyboard cable has a big kink in the middle. I'm thinking this is probably the keyboard problem. ts 3 AM so I can't go get a new keyboard. On another note -- the spare keyboard that I've been keeping for 5 years in a box in the back of my closet isn't there. Funny how that happens.

So, tomorrow I'm going to get a new keyboard when a store opens.

However--- what about the other problems -- Floppy Disk Fail and the Boot from CD (delay) error.

I check back in after I replace my keyboard.

ZW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:47 AM

I would wait until I installed the new keyboard to see if the Floppy problem re-appears. While I don't think the two problems are connected, the Floppy error message might just be an anomaly.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 zippyzoe

zippyzoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:04 AM

Yesterday AM, I installed a new keyboard and after I rebooted I received the same keyboard error. I hit the F1 button and everything booted up just fine. No problems thruout the until I had to Print a very important document. I receive a printer error. I'm doubt if they are related. I worked on the error for a while and gave up last night. I had planned to delete/reinstall the driver the following day.

Well, now it's the next morning and I get the same keyboard error. I hit the F1 button and nothing. No lights at all on the keyboard. I unplugged the keyboard and reinstalled and still nothing.

I'm puzzled. Any suggestions out there on what might be happening.

Thanks,

Zz

#4 zippyzoe

zippyzoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:32 AM

Picked up a new keyboard and connected it --- got to the hit F1 button --- and everything is working.

However -- the next step --- Unknown flash type
Boot from CD

The computer sits for about 5 minutes. Won't accept any keyboard commands. Just sits there. Eventually, it bypasses this step and goes to my desktop configurations.

Everything is working fine again.

I won't turn off my computer until I find out the problem and fix it.

Hopefully someone out there has some insight.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:22 AM

Is the new keyboard USB? If so, have you enabled USB Legacy support in the BIOS? Alternatively, sometimes there's an adapter packaged with the keyboards to change it from USB to PS2 - have you tried using that?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 zippyzoe

zippyzoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

John,

All keyboards are standard PS/2 format.

Any more suggestions?

Why are all the keyboards dying. Is it a power issue?

Zz

#7 zippyzoe

zippyzoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:38 PM

I know the ps2 port is bad. A few minutes ago, the keyboard started screaming that was plugged into the port. All the lights came on and stayed on. I unplugged the keyboard and tried using the usb/ps2 adapter. Nothing....just sits there. I'm off to the store to get another keyboard. If this doesn't work, I'm going to take it into the shop. Very frustrating....

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:17 AM

Try a USB keyboard. If the problems go away, then it's likely that the PS2 port on the motherboard is bad.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Joel D.

Joel D.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:11 PM

Exact same problem just occurred for me. same keyboard issue with the double letters, and the floppy/flash errors. finally got it to work normally after a few reboots, but i'm not expecting it to stay that way. i'm guessing bad ps2 port. any further info on the issue? otherwise going for a new usb keyboard.

thanks,

Joel D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users