Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Differences Between Windows 98 And 98se?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

I've changed my internet security program, but I still have my old one and can still use the firewall on it. I was thinking that I could stick it on my older computer, but it says it runs on Windows 98SE and my old machine is Windows 98. What's SE got that 98 doesn't ? If it's just a couple of services, can they be added on? I understand from reading that SE is a stand-alone product, so am I right in thinking that I'd have to do a fresh installation and transfer everything over if I wanted to install SE (if I could get a second-hand copy, that is)? Thanks.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:41 AM

From wikipedia,

It includes fixes for many minor issues, improved USB support, and the replacement of Internet Explorer 4.0 with the significantly faster Internet Explorer 5. Also included is Internet Connection Sharing, which allows multiple computers on a LAN to share a single Internet connection through Network Address Translation. Other features in the update include Microsoft NetMeeting 3.0 and integrated support for DVD-ROM drives. However, it is not a free upgrade for Windows 98, but a stand-alone product. This can cause problems if programs specifically request Windows 98 SE, but the user only owns Windows 98.

You can try and install the program, generally if it works it works, if it refuses to install you're stuck.

I think Sygate personal firewall will run on any Windows machine. http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sygate_Personal_...Free_d3356.html
Posted Image

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:10 AM

From wikipedia,...

Yes, I'd read the Wikipedia article, that's why I'm confused about why the firewall program (and the games I've got) specify only Windows 98SE. I don't understand how any of the things mentioned in that article would be that important to running a program. Maybe the unspecified fixes or the "integrated support for DVD-ROM drives" (Although I think my other computer only does cds not dvds anyway). I'm wondering if they are just saying 98SE because you won't get error messages and complain to them about it not working, rather than that it will really only run on 98SE. IYKWIM.

I think Sygate personal firewall will run on any Windows machine. http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sygate_Personal_...Free_d3356.html

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

Well, like I said, you may be able to install it and it may work just fine. When you see the system requirements though, you're looking at a list of what the company providing the program is willing to support. Many companies have dropped support for 98 and 95 altogether because they are frankly very obsolete operating systems, and Millennium Edition is pretty much right there with them. If a company is going to support one of the 9x operating systems though, you can bet they're going to go with 98SE, seeing as how the first release of 98 was a horrible buggy mess.

Although that didn't discourage MS from releasing the abomination that was WinME! :thumbsup:

Edited by arcman, 20 May 2007 - 02:55 PM.

Posted Image

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

Yes, thanks Arcman, I might try one one day, as an experiment (or add it to my list of things i might do one day). Interestingly "the abomination" is listed on the programs.

seeing as how the first release of 98 was a horrible buggy mess.

Well, I must be a very undemanding person (or something less flattering :thumbsup: , or merely old enough to know what it was like working in DOS and having to convert things to ASCII to transfer them from one machine to another and.....) because I thought Windows 98 was pretty good (it did what I needed, which isn't much). The only reason I got this "new" machine is because an anti-virus vendor infected my machine and wouldn't or couldn't tell me how to get it off and I couldn't bear turning it on to be "reminded" of things and having their rubbish popping up all over the place. To tell you the truth, I can't see a lot of difference between Windows 98 and this one (XP - but it is XP looking like Windows 98 ??) except that things are harder to find. I'd like a program that gave you a big long list at installation and you could go through and tick "no" to all of the things you don't need. Sigh.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:53 PM

tekchallenged,
You can stop several unnecessary Services in XP, which will free up some resources.
This is the list I use:
Black Viper's Windows XP Service Pack 2 Service Configurations
Clicking on the Service, will give you a description of what it does, and it's dependencies.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:22 AM

tekchallenged,
You can stop several unnecessary Services in XP, which will free up some resources.

Yes, thanks, I've already done that and I don't have anything starting up that I don't want (I think :thumbsup: ), but I'd still like to lop off all of the extraneous stuff. I have heaps of resources available, I just dont like clutter and not knowing what the computer is up to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users