Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Nt - Not Popular?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

I've been looking at Ebay, and Windows 98 seems to sell more easily and gets higher prices than NT, a newer version. Can anybody suggest why? Wasn't the program any good? Also, looking on my software, they say they'll work on 98SE/ME/2000/XP. Was NT quirky in some way?
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:48 AM

NT was designed as a corporate multiuser network server/client operating system, it wasn't ever marketed to the home user market. It was succeeded by Windows 2000 Pro/2000 Server (NT5) and Windows XP Professional/Windows Server 2003.

And yes, it was a bit of a quirky OS. It was a very stable OS, but trying to get certain drivers to install on it could be a hassle and a half.
Posted Image

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:56 AM

NT was designed as a corporate multiuser network server/client operating system, it wasn't ever marketed to the home user market. It was succeeded by Windows 2000 Pro/2000 Server (NT5) and Windows XP Professional/Windows Server 2003.

And yes, it was a bit of a quirky OS. It was a very stable OS, but trying to get certain drivers to install on it could be a hassle and a half.

Thanks for that - that makes sense :thumbsup: .

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

All versions of Windows past the original NT use it's kernel. NT is alive, in a manner of speaking, in Vista, XP, Me, and probably will be for around for a while longer.

3939.png

#5 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

Biggest single problem with NT4 IMO is no native USB support. This makes the OS more obsolete than Win98.

#6 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

Biggest single problem with NT4 IMO is no native USB support.

Sorry, I know nothing. What does that mean? You have to install something else to make USB ports work, or they just don't work at all, or ????

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:23 AM

Dell used to have an add on the enabled USB under WINNT, X86 version. I believe you can still find this if you go to http://www.2cpu.com and search the windows nt forum. I have not looked for a version for the Alpha build, yet. I am still running NT4 on a Dec 600a, with the original software load, from October, 1999.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:36 AM

Tekchallenged, you have it right. NT4 was not "aware of" USB so it could not recognize or control USB devices. As Oldf@rt says, there were some third party drivers (add-on software written by other companies, such as Dell) that could be installed, that would allow at least some classes of USB devices to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users