Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Migrating Files & Setting To New Comp.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TKF

TKF

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:56 PM

My GF has a old GW computer with XP home on it which was upgraded from ME I believe it was setup with Fat32,
she has a new computer now with XP Pro installed on it and is setup with NTFS shes planning to transfer everything over to it using file & transfer wizard
anyone know of any problems that may arise in doing this
any suggestions on does & don't and how this could be accomplished without moving a bunch of old windows ME & GW apps over to the new one

Thanks for any help suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:02 AM

I used the FAST several years ago to transfer my wife's settings from XPHome to XPPro. All went well with one exception - there's a flashing CD icon that appears once every 2 seconds above the cursor. Troubleshooting at that time didn't reveal any fixes. I'd suggest backing up manually and moving things over that way (a plus is that you'll have the stuff stored on some sort of medium as a backup).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TKF

TKF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the reply John

Any suggestion on how to do this manually XP home has no backup tool incorporated in it without some type of Reg.hack and would there be any conflicts with moving from Fat 32 to NTFS
I havenít really tried migrating files & setting before ÖJust being cautious here I donít want to screw this up and here about it for the next year incase problems arise :thumbsup:

Thanks

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:24 AM

Just use the Convert utility to change the FAT to NTFS. To convert, click Start, and point to ALL PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, and then click COMMAND PROMPT. Then to convert the C: drive, for example, to NTFS, type:

CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS and hit the ENTER key.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:01 AM

It's my opinion (please notice the deliberate omission of the word "humble" :thumbsup: that you shouldn't transfer settings - it causes far to many problems to make it worthwhile.

The point is that you're going to a new installation of the OS, why bring problems in with it? I'd suggest re-setting up everything from scratch.

FWIW - XP does have a backup tool, but I don't like it so I can't remember where it's hidden (I think it's on the installation CD and isn't installed by default). There's plenty of good free backup tools (SyncBack and Cobian come to mind) - but my favorite is good old Windows Explorer and the CD Writing Wizard. This usually involves only a couple of locations - the My Documents folder, any emails that may be stored in a different location, the Desktop (if stuff is stored there), and Favorites.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 TKF

TKF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:21 AM

Thanks John the main settings she is concerned about are her E Mail & ISP not sure where to find these and how to transfer them over to the new one

Thanks for all the help

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:24 AM

Email depends on what program that she's using. Most often you can "export" them by using the File...Export menu in the email client.

As for ISP settings, it'll depend on who the ISP is - and the easiest place to get those settings is from the ISP itself (rather than from the computer).

#8 TKF

TKF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:26 AM

Email depends on what program that she's using. Most often you can "export" them by using the File...Export menu in the email client.

As for ISP settings, it'll depend on who the ISP is - and the easiest place to get those settings is from the ISP itself (rather than from the computer).

She is using OE Isp is RR

#9 TKF

TKF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:36 AM

Also I failed to mention that the new computer is already linked to the old by home network setting may already in it I have no idea where to look for them

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:44 AM

I'm not familiar with OE settings so someone else will have to help with that.

As for RR, when I had it (in El Paso, TX 4 years ago) it was a simple setup with no "settings" needed. Can the other (new) computer connect to the internet? If so, then the settings are presumably correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users