Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Machines?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:15 PM

I recently became aware of the fact that vmware's runtime is now free. Just have a few questions before I go for a dual os system.

1) I've already got windows set up on there, will I have to reinstall it into a vm after I install vmware?
2) How will performance be with a stock c2d (the 1.83 ghz), 2 x 1 gig ddr2 800, sata 16 meg cache, and nvidia 7800gt?
3) Any last minute tips?

I've run linux for a long time on an older machine which was scrapped together from tons of other old computers, and I've been itching to try it out on my newly built rig. I just don't feel like going through the trouble of setting up a dual boot with windows already installed, since windows never played nice with linux in my experience if it was installed first. Besides, having them both run side by side would be incredible.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:32 PM

*hopeful bump*
Anybody? Please?

Posted Image

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:25 PM

Ive noticed this in a few VMWare threads here at BC. I dont think many people on BC use it. If they do they're keeping very quite about it.

Posted Image

#4 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:39 PM

Most Linux distros will allow you to shrink the windows partition and set up a dual boot. Or you could use partition magic, to shrink the windows partition. You will then be given the option of Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP, etc, and linux.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#5 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

Well, I went ahead and took the plunge anyway. Using Virtual Box (open source and free virtual machine runtime), I now have ubuntu running great with windows as the host. For anyone who wants to try it out, it doesn't affect your windows install at all, and all you need is the linux .iso to install it with. Only thing is don't expect to do any gaming on it, since with virtual machines it doesn't actually interface with your graphics card, it only uses ram to emulate a graphics card.

Performance on my rig is just fine, I can use both ubuntu and windows at the same time without any lag in either. Graphics such as menu animations are a tad slow though, because of the lack of a graphics card.

Good luck!

Posted Image

#6 luciusad2004

luciusad2004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:09 PM

I just thought i would ask this question hear since my question applies to virtual machines. Ive read about them in the past but i'm not sure if i quite get what they are. What does a virtual machine do. Is it simply a program that emulates a second machine in software so that you can run a second OS on top of an already running OS? Virtualization seems to be a pretty common buzzword now a days and im just trying to get a firm grasp on what the concept is. Sorry for the newb question.

Lucius

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

#7 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:44 AM

Since I use debian, I just use virtual terminal. I've never tried to use it to boot the xp partition, but it works great for messing around my network...especially since I'm too lazy to go upstairs and maintain those computers.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#8 pro-n00b

pro-n00b

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:30 PM

Only thing is don't expect to do any gaming on it, since with virtual machines it doesn't actually interface with your graphics card, it only uses ram to emulate a graphics card.

ummm idk how much ram do you have ... cause i was at my friends house playing games on his virtual computer and it was running just as fast as my computer thats just running xp .... so i think it depends on how much ram u have

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

Is it simply a program that emulates a second machine in software so that you can run a second OS on top of an already running OS?

Basically yes.

cause i was at my friends house playing games on his virtual computer and it was running just as fast as my computer thats just running xp

It sort of depends on the game also. There is no way I could run XP as a guest system and play Oblivion, or Call of Duty, or any other number of games, and I have a pretty beefy system. If that were the case, I would dump my dual boot.

#10 pro-n00b

pro-n00b

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:50 PM

my friend had americas army running fast on his mac with boot camp .... idk i agress very intense games wont work but i think some will

#11 rever

rever

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:45 PM

Just top let you know Boot Camp is not a virtual Machine it is Macs way of Dual Booting. A virtual machine allows you to have BOTH OS up at the same time. Also you can get 3D support in Vmware Server and Workstation. You will need to edit your vmx file however. Also it is still experimental. The new VMware 6 workstation has better support and also supports USB 2.0.

#12 pro-n00b

pro-n00b

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

ahhh thanks for clarifying

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

And if I could make one more clarification. Instead of hitting the quote button when responding to a post, do you suppose you guys could just hit the reply button instead? The staff gets awfully tired of cleaning up nested quotes in threads, and I get tired of reading the same stuff 3 and 4 times just to get to one line of information. There is no need to keep quoting previous posts over and over again.

Thank you.

#14 pro-n00b

pro-n00b

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

kk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users