Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Share Wi-fi Access With A Neighbor?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kat

Kat

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:23 PM

A neighbor has offered me access to his wi-fi service which he is about to get established.
How do I determine if there is space for a wifi card in my about 4-yrs-old PC, and is there anything else I need to look into?
How would he and I insure our individual security in a shared situation such as this...or does the Windows XP firewall take care of that?
Would I be able to retain my current dialup service until I'm sure this kind of setup works?
And finally, would this 'shared' access be legal, as far as my neighbor's DSL ISP---or any other entity? :thumbsup: -- is concerned?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 19 May 2007 - 03:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:50 PM

U can get a USB wi-fi device, i'm sure ur PC has USB ports.
i guess ur neighbour will know how to set a password to authorize the access to this wi-fi network.
Of course u could maintain ur Dial up and even when u have wi-fi u can still keep ur dial up,maybe for some reason he wont give u access to his connection later on , u would still have ur dial up.
I cant give u an answer about the legimity of this, but i guess its fine as long as u dont kill someone :thumbsup:

cheers.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

As long as his network is open (or key gives you the network key) it is legal to access his network. The fact that his network has an internet connection isnt important. USB wifi devices are the easiest way to do it but there is also PCI cards if you a spare slot on your mother board.

Posted Image

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:54 PM

There may be some restrictions in his license agreement with his ISP about sharing his internet connection with his neighbors.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:47 PM

the db gain of the antenna will be the main issue, I have tested 400KB/s with a usb1 linksys wireless adapter/B
at 100 yards and a cantenna
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users