Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Secutity Suite

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:01 PM

Thinking of buying Kapersky Internet security 6.0. does anyone have any comments on this program?
:thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

Any Internet Security Suite uses a lot of the computer's system resources. In my family, we all use AVG Free Edition, alongside their free antispyware tool. Personally, from experience, use AVG Free..... its better than Kaspersky.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

I have to strongly disagree that AVG is better than Kaspersky. I'm not knocking AVG, it's main advantage is a lite footprint and it will do for those who have some security smarts already and don't engage in much high risk surfing. No one beats Kaspersky's detection rate, certainly not AVG.

The free AV's have gotten better at detection rates now than they had a year or two ago, but the other disadvantage with AVG is a lack of features like scheduling of scans and updates, script blocking (don't leave home without it), and support, among other things.

I use Kaspersky (KAV) standalone AV, not the security suite (KIS) that includes a firewall. I actually liked version 5.x better. I won't say I never had any problems with it--the AV includes Intrusion Prevention (IPS) that doesn't get along with some firewalls, but if you go with the suite you shouldn't have that problem. The initial cost is rather high, but subscription renewals are reasonable. Plus upgrades to the program are free, unlike Norton that tries to get you to buy the new version every year.

I got a deal at a reseller here in the US--look around some before you buy. You can also trial the program to see if you like it: http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/trial-versions.php

Before you make a decision, you might want to give nod32 a trial also: http://www.eset.com/download/index.php

If you are going to go with a commercial product, these two lead the field in recommendations of security professionals. The drawback with nod is it doesn't include a firewall and I've heard it isn't very user friendly. But AVG doesn't include a firewall either. :thumbsup:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:34 AM

There as many antivirus programs as there are opinions. Kapersky detection rules though are top of the bill
AVG contains an "out of the box "feature where you can schedule full scan and - update once a day.
For multi scans and/or updates you have to buy the professional version.

Posted Image

I use a combination of Zone Alarm(firewall) and AVG Free which is lite on resources. However the most important protection is yourself. Check the below excellent articles for your ready reference

Suggested Safe Practices
Simple steps to keep your computer secure!

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

I use Kaspersky 6.0 internet Security comm. It works quite well. As for how much of your system it uses, well a good internet securities do. I have found that most people around here have plenty of cpu,ram,hd to handle it without a problem. Note! Kaspersky is not as user friendly as some of the free ones. You have to train it and set some things yourself to get it to do what you want it to do. P/S Zone Alarm Pro also has always worked well for me. I hope this helps.

Edited by Layback Bear, 26 May 2007 - 07:59 AM.

#6 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the info bud.

If navigating Kapersky's download website is any indicator, hackers and such are in for big trouble.
I purchased (online) their anti-virus program on my notebook and have attempted to load it onto another system, what a lesson in futility!
Will attempt to do this again later, before I have a few frothy beverages....lol, hope it downloads then!
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users