Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat Of Xp Pro - System Can't Find Any Hard Disk Drives

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mo jo

mo jo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

I have a system that was custom built about 3 years ago - Guy put XP pro on it, but wasn't a "valid key". I just purchased a full version of XP Pro, and am trying to reformat my hard drive with this (I was told on a forum about 9 mos ago that my registry was seriously screwed and this was the only option). Got it to boot from the new XP CD - but then says cannot find any hard disk drives installed in computer. I have 2 hard drives - one removable (hoping to save some pics on this and not have to reformat this). Thanks for your help - Moe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:17 PM

What kind of hard drive is it? IDE, SATA or SCSI? Is the drive recognized by the bios?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 mo jo

mo jo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:51 AM

What kind of hard drive is it? IDE, SATA or SCSI? Is the drive recognized by the bios?

SATA I believe (that's what it says on the manual)- How do I tell if it's recognized by the bios? Here's what's listed:

SATA/RAID/SCSI Boot order....RAID
First Boot DEvice....CDRom
Second Boot Device....USB-CDRom
Third Boot Device...HDD-0
Boot up Floppy Seek....Disabled
Password Check....Setup
Flexible AGP8X.....Auto
Init Display First.....AGP

My knowledge is limited - so any help is appreciated.

#4 mo jo

mo jo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:08 AM

After looking at my paperwork - It's IDE NOT SATA...sorry

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:29 AM

Download a free diagnostic from the manufacturer of the hard drive and see if it notes any problems with the drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 mo jo

mo jo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:46 AM

Download a free diagnostic from the manufacturer of the hard drive and see if it notes any problems with the drive.

Computer won't run any programs - all program were changed to .inf. Now on bootup it tells me NTLDR is missing - can't get windows to even come up.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:31 AM

Check the website of your HDD manufacturer. Often they will have a free diagnostic tool that is a bootable CD. That way it doesn't matter if Windows won't boot.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

Segate and maxtor drive tools are here http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/d...ols/seatooldreg

Western Digital tools http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?swid=1

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 mo jo

mo jo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:27 PM

Segate and maxtor drive tools are here http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/d...ols/seatooldreg

Western Digital tools http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?swid=1

Thanks - found the website and downloaded seatools for DOS. It's a maxtor - can't get it to boot from the CD though. NTLDR is missing (if that means anything) - did I mention I don't have much experience at this

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

You downloaded the ISO did you use Nero or an ISO burning program to burn the program to CD?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 mo jo

mo jo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:06 PM

You downloaded the ISO did you use Nero or an ISO burning program to burn the program to CD?

I just downloaded an ISO burner and got the disc to work - it didn't recognize EITHER hard drive...Now what?

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:21 AM

Did the test not recognize the drive - or was it just the ntldr is missing error? If it was the ntldr error, then it appears the system isn't booting from the CD. If there isn't a way to access the mobo's boot menu (F8 in Asus mobos), then go into the BIOS and disable everything booting but the CD, then try it (don't forget to re-enable it afterwards). I had to do this yesterday with an older Asus board that refused to boot from the CD (it had an unformatted drive installed).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 mo jo

mo jo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:34 AM

Did the test not recognize the drive - or was it just the ntldr is missing error? If it was the ntldr error, then it appears the system isn't booting from the CD. If there isn't a way to access the mobo's boot menu (F8 in Asus mobos), then go into the BIOS and disable everything booting but the CD, then try it (don't forget to re-enable it afterwards). I had to do this yesterday with an older Asus board that refused to boot from the CD (it had an unformatted drive installed).

The test did run and did not recognize the drive. I also checked all the cable connections

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:59 AM

If the manufacturer's test didn't find the drive (and presuming that it's properly connected and powered up) then it's likely that you're in the market for a new hard drive.

You can slave the drive to another computer and try this free program to see if you can recover anything from it (doubtful, but worth a try): http://www.pcinspector.de

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users