Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Frozen - Winantiviruspro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RameshR

RameshR

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

Good morning everybody. Yesterday, due to my mistake (I still don't know if I did it myself), WinANtiVirusPro got installed on my laptop. I immediately realized and swithed off the computer hoping if the installation doesn't complete, I may be OK. But, it appears that it completely installed itself.
Now when I switch on the machine, it takes 5 times as much time as it used to start up and once all programs are loaded, I have a WinAntiVirusPro logo on my screen and I cannot start any program on the computer. When I take the mouse to the task bar to the Start prompt, it is an hourglass and would not start any programs. Essentially, the computer is frozen.
I was reading several of the threads which were all suggesting that I install a software. But I am not able to do anything or start anything. I had PCCullin, caAntivirus installed previously on that machine. I bought Kaspersky internet security a few days ago for that computer, but never installed it.
If I can copy a few files out to a thumb drive, I don't even have a problem of reformatting the disk. Please help me. Thank you all in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:00 PM

start here
this should give you some more info on winantiviruspro it is a rogue antispyware progrm you will also find
instructions for removal
:thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#3 RameshR

RameshR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:18 PM

start here
this should give you some more info on winantiviruspro it is a rogue antispyware progrm you will also find
instructions for removal
:thumbsup:

Thanks, mz30. I am trying to start the machine in Safe Mode and trying my luck.

#4 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:22 PM

hope it worksout for you let us know how you get on :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:39 PM

That malware is lately associated with Vundo.

http://www.atribune.org/content/view/24/2/
Please download VundoFix.exe
to your desktop.
Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
Click the Scan for Vundo button.
Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES
Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
When completed, it will prompt that it will reboot your computer, click OK.

Note: It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove.
In this case, VundoFix will run on reboot, simply follow the above
instructions starting from "Click the Scan for Vundo button." when
VundoFix appears at reboot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may also need to use Rogue Remover.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

How To start Windows in Safe Mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 RameshR

RameshR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

Hi Guys,
Thanks a lot for all the responses. First and foremost, I was able to start the machine in Safemode and uninstall the WinAntiVirusPro from the machine. Restarted the machine, started my programs and backed up data. So, I'm out of danger. However, two problems remain. The machine starts up real slow (it is no exaggeration to say that it is taking about 4-5 minutes to complete loading the programs, it used to take about a minute) and whenever I try to start a broser (Firefox or IE), several pop up windows come on and I have to kill them (thank god, it atleast allows me to do that). Surprisingly, all these popups open up as IE browsers even though I do not launch IE for web surfing.

I will apply the solutions suggested and report back. I was also wondering, if Dell has a built-in system restore option (to a date prior to my infection date) and if I do that the problems will disappear. Do you think it is possible?
Regards.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

You didn't mention the programs you have run. If you haven't run the Vundofix and Super Antispyware you need to do that.
Your system restore points were infected starting the same day your computer was infected. It is better to remove the malware without using system restore. Once you are clean it is advised to remove all restore points. Let us know when you finish the scans and the results.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 RameshR

RameshR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:42 PM

Thank you very much mz30 and buddy215. I did all the steps in the order specified. After Vundofix, RogueRemoval and SuperAntiSpyware, my computer performance is way better than when I first came to this forum. I greatly appreciate your help. However, I still have pop ups coming up each time I start my browser. I posted a HijackThis log and waiting to see what will be suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users