Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn/live Messenger Question.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 The Kid

The Kid

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:21 AM

Hey, I'm away at school and on their computers, they have blocked access to the Program Files folder in the C: drive. I suppose the purpose of this is to limit any potentially harmfull applications that could get downloaded onto the system. I was wondering however, if there is any way to install MSN/Windows Live Messenger onto the system, by pointing the installation to an alternate location on the drive. If this is possible, I would appreciate any help anyone could offer in performing this task. If it is not, that's fine as well, Thanks either way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:26 AM

They have their reason to not let people install any application on their computer. I suggest you not to do so.

Alternatively, you might want to try online messenger which is the same as using MSN messenger just that it's web based.

Search google for ebuddy.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

I would seriously reconsider making any attempt to bypass your school's designed security and on a computer owned by your school, since doing so could not only make you liable for any harm done to the computer or your school's computer system, but could also make you liable for criminal prosecution. In addition, there may be unwanted academic discipline if traced to you.
Your best solution is to discuss your request, explaining your needs for the application, with the system administrator at your school.

Since this request is in violation of the Forum Rules that forbid discussion of methods to "defeat existing copyright or security measures" I am closing this thread.

Best regards,
John
Global Moderator

Edited by jgweed, 19 May 2007 - 10:32 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users