Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choice Cpu('s) For A High-end Graphic Workstation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Leapback

Leapback

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:11 AM

I am busy to configure the components for a new high-end graphic werkstation. The main application will be Adobe PhotoShop CS2, and a little Frontpage and Flash for webdesign. For the most choices I have already made a decision. Such as the graphic adapter and the HD-configuration. I am going to use a version of Microsoft's Windows XP x64-bits. In my opininion, for what is worth Vista gives to much incompatiblesproblems.
But not for the motherboard, i.c. the CPU. I am sure about the brand, Intel. But not for the type, I reduce the question to two types:
1. An Intel D975XBX2 with one Core 2 Extreme QX6800, with 8 Gb RAM or,
2. An Intel S5000XVNSATA with two Xeon 5355, with the possiblity to go up to 16 Gb RAM.

Have anyone an answer to the question if PhotoShop CS2 can use two CPU's?
What choice will result in the fastested system?

With greetings,
Martin, the Netherlands

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

I'd suspect that both systems will be fast enough to satisfy you - as for the benchmarking of them, I'd suggest checking http://www.tomshardware.com to see if they've done any testing of this combo. My personal opinion is that the Workstation board is most suitable for a workstation - whereas the 975x won't be optimized for workstation tasks.

This link implies that Photoshop CS2 can utilize multiple processors: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase...x.cfm?id=332271
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

More processor cores, More ram, more system cache makes CS2 happy :thumbsup:

Edit : :huh: To BC

Edited by Sneakycyber, 19 May 2007 - 05:42 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

Combination Number two, that is the way to go, I would add the raid 5 option and use all 6 sata ports for hard drives. Start with at least 4 gig of ram. Look at this HDD link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148144
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users