Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cappi106

Cappi106

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:26 AM

Hello, I am posting a question for my aunt. She has a Dell Latitude D800 Series laptop. All of a sudden when she tried to turn it on today, windows would not start. It gave a message saying:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: Windows/System32/config/system

Then it says you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CDRom Select R at the first screen to start repair.

I gave her my windows xp cd and when she put it in and restarted, the laptop did nothing. It won't even automatically start the CD. Does anyone know anything about how to fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:38 AM

You will likely need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order so the system attempts to boot from the CD/DVD-ROM first before it tries booting the hard drive. For Dell laptops, you should press F2 as the system is starting to get into that configuration.

Once you have it set so it will boot the CD, you can try the XP non-destructive restoration process, outlined here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx

If you can get that far, the setup may eventually ask you for the Windows product ID, it should be attached as a sticker to the bottom of the laptop.
Posted Image

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:38 AM

On a dell, if you hit the F12 key during start up you get a boot menu, select optical or cd drive and hit enter. there is no need for a boot order change in the bios. if you have the original dell os cd, you will not be asked for the product key. CTRL F11 will run the built in recovery program if that laptop has it, be warned, using the dell recovery program does a format and reloads the factory software..
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Cappi106

Cappi106
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:51 PM

Thank you all for replying to me. We got it fixed now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users