Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spywareguard Program

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:44 PM

Hi, I would like to install SpywareGuard (from BC freeware replacements..)
I would like to know if it will have conflict with my others applications I've installed.
I've heard that there shall not be 2 antivirus program installed at the same time as it will clash with each other if activated as real-time protection.
Im not sure about anti spyware programs.

Here is my list of programs installed:

Spybot Search & Destroy - with tea timer running
AVG 7 free - real time protection
AVG Antispy - trail expired, now use as stand alone scanner
Spyware Blaster
Ad Aware SE
SuperAntispy
XoftSpySE

As I read in the Javacool regarding the SpywareGuard, it offers so much:

* Fast Real-Time Scanning engine - catch and block spyware before it is executed (EXE and CAB files supported) with signature-based scanning for known spyware and heuristic/generic detection capabilities to catch new/mutated spyware
* Download Protection - prevent spyware from being download in Internet Explorer
* Browser Hijacking Protection - stop browser hijacking activity in real-time
* SG LiveUpdate - provides an easy updating solution
* Small size - with a small size and small definition sizes, download and updates are quick
* Report Capabilities - keep a detailed log of all spyware detected
* Spyware files are blocked before being opened or run - they are not simply shut down after they are loaded in memory (and after they have performed their tasks)
* It's a free download

Im interested to have it on my comp. Will it clash with my SpyBot?

Thanks, your advice is greatly appreciated.
Veronica Yeoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

You shouldn't have any problems running it, with the programs you're using.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:41 PM

XoftSpy is an program that was previously listed as a rogue on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware List because of concerns with false positives, questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising. It has been been de-listed as a rogue because the vendor has taken some actions to correct these concerns. (scroll down and read the Note on this application). I am still skeptical and would only recommend a progam with a proven track record like those mentioned in BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources or one of the other Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products.

The concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise when both are running in real-time mode simultaneously. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to "False Positives". If one finds a virus and then the other also finds the same virus, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each anti-virus will attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it. If one finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found when that is not the case. To avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution. Deciding which one to remove is your choice. Be aware that you may lose your subscription to that anti-virus program's virus definitions once you uninstall that software.

In contrast, using more than one anti-spyware program running in real-time mode simultaneously increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new malware infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a layered defense using several products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus and scanning in "safe mode" provides the most complete protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:10 AM

Thanks tg1911, and thanks quietman7 for your detailed explanations. I appreciate it.

I have problem installing the SpywareGuard program, as a 'Dr watson' windows pop up and gives some debug error.
(I dont even know I have this program)

For your info, this is a DELL Laptop, with Windows XP home installed. Dr Watson could be a bundled software.

It freeze when I restart my laptop, after the Dr Watson message appears.

I then restart in Safe Mode & restore to earlier time (Before I install Spyware Guard).

Now I need to download & install Spyware Guard again, cos it is no longer in my computer after system restore.

Can someone pls guide me on the Dr watson & Spyware guard setup conflicts?
Veronica Yeoh

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:45 AM

Dr. Watson, is the name of the program error debugger tool, for Windows XP.

Could you post the debug error, if it appears again?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:47 AM

Ok, then I have to install the Spyware Guard first, because the debug warning comes after the Spywareguard installed.
Veronica Yeoh

#7 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:32 AM

I cant save a screenshot of the debug report, but I've jot it down with paper & pen....

Just for your info, After I Installed the SpywareGuard, the problem arise again.
My comp hangs.... I was unable even to close the Dr watson window. Everything on my screen freeze.
After restart (which I got to force restart it by preesing & holding the power button), the Dr Watson screen appears again.

I then jot down the report, did a system restore and now I can post a reply after manage to connect to the internet.

here is the report:

Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the incovience.
If you are in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. For more info about this error, click here...
(which I clicked, then it generates another message):

Error Report Content

C:\DOCUME~1\Veron\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER690e.dir00\drwtsn32.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Veron\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER690e.dir00\appcompat.txt
(I click on details, and it show another window):

Error Signature
Event Type:BEX P1: drwtsn32.exe
P2: 5.1.2600.0
P3: 3b7d84a2
P4: dbghelp.dll
P5: 5.1.2600.2180
P6: 4110969a
P7: 0001295d
P8: c0000409
P9: 00000000
-------------------------------

Hope this info helps, and for your info, there's no SpywareGuard setup prog in my pc for the moment, cos I've restore it to yesterday.
Thanks for your help
Veronica Yeoh

#8 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:21 PM

I'm still waiting for some guide for the Spyware Guard installation.....
Hope someone can help....
Veronica Yeoh

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:53 AM

A Google search will disclose that there are numerous reports of the Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger message.

dbghelp.dll is a module related to Windows Image Helper.
appcompat.txt is a reporting file with information used when uploading error reports to Microsoft when you get the message "report this error to Microsoft?"

I checked the Javacool Software Knowledge Base but I'm not finding any info on your installation problem being related to this error. There is an official support forum here[/B] where the javacool folks might be able to provide some insight.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users