Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Px Recognizing A 500gig Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:12 PM

Hi,

I have been doing some hardware upgrading on my PC. I have 2 new eBay special hard drives, a 15K, 73 gig SCSI and a 500 gig IDE. The SCSI is working like a song with enough room for all OS basics plus a little extra. I'm very happy.

However, PX will not recognize that the 500 gig even exists.

I've heard that XP was made to only handle up to 120 gigs, that anything above this and XP would need instructions on how to handle it, which usually is in the form of a CD that comes along with the hard drive.

Well my eBay special only included the brand new hard drive with no CD or anything else.

So, my question is where would I get this CD or download to adjust my XP to except the 500 gig and know what to do with it? That's it.

I'd really appreciate anyone that can help me with this. Thanks.

John :thumbsup:

PS Oh, I also want to dispel the mystery that all SCSI's make a lot of noise. My 10K made one heck of a racket but my 15K is as quite as any IDE that I've ever had, I've only had one IDE running so far though.
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

Excuse me that is suppose to be "XP" not "Px" in the topic title.

They don't let you edit the titles unfortunately, just the body.
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:35 PM

Two things are needed for a 500 gig hdd to be recognized, XP, with sp2, and an up to date bios Is the hdd recognized by the bios?

if it is, make sure that it is set on slave so as not to interfere with the scsi boot. then you need to run computer management (compmgmt.msc) and then run the disk management snap in. if you see the drive, click once to select the drive r click or run the tools menu, then you need to format the drive, it will take about 2 1/2 hours to format.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

If the drive isn't recognized in Disk Management, then you've got some work to do to get it recognized.

The easiest (and cheapest) way to get it working is to download the free utilities at the hard drive manufacturer's website.

FWIW, if the system won't recognize the full 500 gB (my XP did), you can always partition it into several smaller drives (less than 137 gB) as a workaround.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:56 PM

Normally, any of the disk diagnosis tools of the major manufacturers will be able to detect that you don't have it enabled, and will do it for you as well.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users