Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do You Car Buffs Protect Your Pride And Joy?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

Just came across this article and it seems to be an ideal way to keep tabs on your pride and joy. But keeping an eye on your teens, good or bad??

http://www.gearlog.com/2007/05/keep_tabs_o...car_the_gps.php

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

That's a pretty "cool beans" system.

I did it a bit different long ago with a simple hidden ignition toggle switch. (Besides keeping track of my sets of keys.)
As I wasn't tracking where my kids went, just when, as they were tracked anyway by all in the county.

Times change.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:01 PM

AHH Yes. The old ways were often the best. People Power wouldn't work too well in the city tho'. :thumbsup:

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:30 PM

Two things "Loud Pipes Save Lives" (my trucks will wake the neighborhood when started), and Smith and Wesson are what protect my vehicles. Oh yeah and if anyone were to try and steal them they had better be able to float the gears b/c i removed the Synchronizers from my transmissions so I could powershift them.

Posted Image

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

I protect my car the easy way. Anti theft vehicle (the car looks so bad that no one wants it)
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:43 PM

If its stolen thats why I have insurance.

I am so sure it wont get stolen that I leave the keys in the car along with my title and over 5000 dollars cash in a big bag labled cash.
I have chrome rims with a tag that says "Pull here and these are yours no wrench needed" :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

I dont want any gps like that in my car so someone can track me. It would be cool though to like have the thing stolen and drive up with the police and arrest them.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 18 May 2007 - 11:47 PM.

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:21 PM

BlackSpyder. Lack of synchros would be fairly effective in today's automatic society. I remember the '48 V8 crash box was a work of art to get through. LOL. Today, I have enough trouble getting through a Road Ranger, but am badly out of practice.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

Two things "Loud Pipes Save Lives" (my trucks will wake the neighborhood when started), and Smith and Wesson are what protect my vehicles. Oh yeah and if anyone were to try and steal them they had better be able to float the gears b/c i removed the Synchronizers from my transmissions so I could powershift them.

BlackSpyder,
So because you are a diesel mechanic, let me guess... your trucks are nothing but Turbo Diesels?Posted Image

Edited by TMacK, 19 May 2007 - 08:23 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:33 PM

Actually no, I only have 1 Diesel (yes it is a 94 Chevy 1 ton 6.5 turbo diesel) the other 5 are all gas. my 71 chevy has duel 3" exhaust w/ no mufflers last time i cranked it was on a Sunday and my grand dad asked me if it was loud enough b/c he heard it @ church (approx 1/2 mile away). The others are setup similar (just quieter since I have to drive them on the road)

rowal5555 : I love Eaton Road Ranger transmissions. Since I cannot drive an Autoshift b/c the clutch is to heavy for my knee. Dad has an 18 speed down on the farm with enough shift select buttons to make a keyboard jealous (2 splitters, H/L Range, and a dump valve that I put on it) Its fun to drive.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 19 May 2007 - 09:34 PM.

Posted Image

#10 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

Yes, I'm with you BlackSpyder. I spent 3 months last year in an Inter dump truck on a logging track up the top of a local mountain and couldn't hold the clutch down for more than a few seconds - never felt anything so confoundedly heavy. LOL. Had to get through' the shifts as quick as possible or my leg got the shakes. Too old for that lark now. :thumbsup:

Edited by rowal5555, 19 May 2007 - 09:57 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:14 PM

Does anyone remember the Early Trucks that had what they call 'JOEY BOXES'. They run 2 Gearboxes and you had 2 gearsticks to use.I drove an International Truck with one of these fitted,and an absolute nightmare to drive. After a late night out with the Boys,and so tired,I used to forget which gear I was in with which Gearbox..:thumbsup:
Love the Roadranger Gearboxes.Mostly only ever used the Clutch once to get mobile,after that it was a breeze.Found it quite easy to change gears by engine Rpm. As 'rowal5555'said,in tight situations,my left Knee used to tremble also.The Clutch pedal was so heavy to operate.

Edited by DSTM, 19 May 2007 - 10:54 PM.

#12 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:34 PM

Does anyone remember the Early Trucks that had what they call 'JOEY BOXES'. They run 2 Gearboxes and you had 2 gearsticks to use.I drove an International Truck with one of these fitted,and an absolute nightmare to drive. :thumbsup:
Love the Roadranger Gearboxes.Mostly only ever used the Clutch once to get mobile,after that it was a breeze.Found it quite easy to change gears by engine Rpm. As 'rowal5555'said,in tight situations,my left Knee used to tremble also.The Clutch pedal was so heavy to operate.

Ah yes. I drove one of those not too bad but confusing. But the "Autoshifts" you only had to press the clutch in to get them into Drive, Low, Neutral, or Reverse. They had a touch Pad in the cab and no actual shifter and if you didnt depress the clutch all the way or the clutch position switch broke they would not do anything. And due to their poor design they had a 50 pound press on the pedal because the standard Dana "Easy Pedal" (what most trucks have now) with a 20 pound press would slip.

My knee gets sore just thinking about it. Where did I put my BenGay.

Posted Image

#13 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:20 PM

Knowing where you kids go is difficult, you either trust them or you don't. And who is to say if your kid takes it to let's say his friend's house, and there are a bunch of his buddies that want to pull a prank on him (or something) and they either hot-wire his car or get his keys and take off in it. Who is to tell who is driving the vehicle with the GPS unit?

Also I could see this having problems, especially if you are about to have a divorce, or it could cause a divorce. Like a paranoid spouse, wondering why you were at the bank for 18 seconds longer than normal, or at a red light for 3.2 seconds longer than usual. I read a couple of articles in popular science about how cheating spouses could use the internet, as well, as GPS units to cause a lot of havoc among each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users