Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Down

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Beastclaw

Beastclaw

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

Ok, my girlfriend is at my house all of the time and she would get bored of just watchin me on my computer so she brought over her laptop one day.... an eMachine. Yea i know try not to laugh. Anyway, she took horible care of her computer, she would plug it in and un plug it with the power on to were you would see a spark, she would toss it around, and needless to say the crapy machine finally died. One day we went to turn it on and nothing happened, it was like there was no power going to the thing. I took a brief look at it, pretty much just glanced on the outside, and i could see no major sign of trama to the power suply or the power input on the machine. The only thing i can think of is a short somewere, but i cant tell if its in the power suply, on the motherboard of the laptop or if its a crappy batery. Does anyone know of a way that i can tell if it is a bad part, without buying a new part and testing it out?

If no one can think of a way to save the laptop than its no big deal, for i told her that eMachine sucked anyway and we got her a new laptop. But now we cant transfer the data from the old one to the new one because i cant start up the old one, does anyone have a solution to this?

And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a GREAT BIRD. The brid gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast a FIRE and THUNDER upon them. For the beast had been REBORN with its strength renewed, and the followers of MAMMON cowered in horror.

from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

Do you have a desktop you could put both hard-drives in?

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:57 PM

Whatever you do, don't let her touch yours :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Beastclaw

Beastclaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

I do have a desktop, and forgive me for i am not to familiar with the hardware of a laptop, but from what i heard it is almost impossible to get a laptop back together once you open it.

And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a GREAT BIRD. The brid gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast a FIRE and THUNDER upon them. For the beast had been REBORN with its strength renewed, and the followers of MAMMON cowered in horror.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

Actually removing the hard drive is not that difficult. Should just be a couple of screws. What is the model of the laptop. To hook up the laptop HD to your desktop you will need this . adapter
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 18 May 2007 - 07:23 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:20 AM

First, check the AC adapter to make sure it's sending power through the cord. The volts and amps should be marked on the adapter so you'll know what you're looking for. You'll need a multimeter to test it - or a couple of pieces of wire with a 12 volt car light bulb as a field-expedient current tester.

Once that's done, examine the place where it plugs into the laptop - is it loose? Does the charging light come on when you wiggle it?

Those are the two most common things that cause a laptop to not power up - it's generally because there's no juice in the battery and none coming into the laptop from the AC adapter.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Beastclaw

Beastclaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:05 AM

I did try using a Multimeter, it was one of the first things i did, but maybe i did not use it right. I tried testing both the positive and negative on the AC adapter itself and got no reading. I than tried just using the positive while putting the negative on a large metal object to use as a grounder, and still nothing. As far as wiggling the cord, that also has turned up no results.

#8 Beastclaw

Beastclaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:07 AM

I do have a desktop, and forgive me for i am not to familiar with the hardware of a laptop, but from what i heard it is almost impossible to get a laptop back together once you open it.

I looked at the cable, and if im not mistaken, it looks like an adapter for the power of the HD, is the other conection just a basic IDE or SATA cable?

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:42 PM

If the adapter isn't putting out power, then you're stuck there until you can replace/repair it. Once it puts out power, then you can test the rest of the system for power issues inside the case.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users