Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Heat Sink

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:05 PM

Hi all, im looking for a new heatsink for my Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P, can anyone recomend a good one for my deaktop please, my OS is win xp service pac 2 with 1 gig of RAM.
Here's a bit of info about my set up, the original heat sink is now about 2 years old now and showing signes of it.
Thanks for your help,,,,,Fig

Processor
Model : Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.40GHz
Speed : 3.39GHz
Performance Rating : PR4240 (estimated)
Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 2 Unit(s)
Package : FC LGA775
Rated Speed/FSB : 3400MHz / 4x 200MHz
Multiplier : 17/1x
Minimum/Maximum Multiplier : 3/1x / 17/1x
Generation : G8
Name : P4P-T/J (Prescott) Pentium 4E 90nm 2.8-3.8GHz 1.25-1.4V
Revision/Stepping : 4 / 3 (0)
Microcode : MU0F4304
Maximum Physical / Virtual Addressing : 36-bit / 48-bit
Native Page Size : 4kB
Part Number : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Asset Tag : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Serial Number : To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Co-Processor (FPU)
Type : Built-in
Revision/Stepping : 4 / 3 (0)

Processor Cache(s)
Internal Data Cache : 16kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way set, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing
Internal Trace Cache : 12kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way set, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 2MB ECC Synchronous, ATC, 8-way set, 64 byte line size, 2 lines per sector, 2 threads sharing
L2 Cache Multiplier : 1/1x (3392MHz)

Upgradeability
Socket/Slot : Socket 775
Upgrade Interface : Other
Supported Speed(s) : 4.00GHz+

Processor Power Management
Processor Throttling Enabled : Yes
Throttle Range : 82% - 100%
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:32 PM

How comfortable are you with working inside your case?
There are a lot of different CPU fans you can get for a socket 775 CPU, Zalman makes a lot of good ones for example, but many of them require you to remove the motherboard so you can affix a backplate on the other side of the CPU socket.

If that sounds too daunting, you could go with something like this, which should attach easily enough to the top of the motherboard in the same way the Intel stock CPU fans do.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835106046
Posted Image

#3 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for your reply Arcman, i'd rather go down the easy root and just take one off and replace it with a new one, of this varitay which gives the best preformance, the price is no matter, just which are the best ones for the job,,,,thanks
Regards,,,, Fig
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

Arcman what do you think about this one its a akasa AK-961.
Sorry about the wrong link,,,, oups

Edited by figgis41, 19 May 2007 - 03:01 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

All I saw there was some sort of tech article having to do with HSFs, and now it's asking me to register, so I have no idea what you're asking.
Posted Image

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:49 PM

A heatsink is a piece of metal. It doesn't wear out. They do fill up with lint and crud. You can remove the fan from the heatsink and blow it out with a can of compressed air and a soft brush. You should do that to the inside of your machine, yearly. If you're dead set on spending money on a 2 year old computer, but a new fan. If you insist on a new heatsink, don't forget the thermal compound
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:09 AM

Im an Engineere,,,,, believe me metal dose wear out,, but i understand what you mean, i think i frazed it wrongley, i ment that the cpu temps are getting higher even though i clean inside regularley, i've read that the stock heatsinks are not very good,, i've been looking at some on line, what doyou think of this one,,, AKASA AK-961,, thanks for your help,,,,,,Fig
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:43 AM

I've got the big round copper Zalman with the blue lighted fan (can't recall the model number) and it works great. But you'll need a lot of room to install it (it's 4 or 5 inches tall)!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users