Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Boot-up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jtewell

jtewell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:37 AM

Have a Dell Inspiron 600 and have a problem with it booting up. Press the power button and the power and keyboard light come on but thats all it dose. I don't get anything on the monitor and after a few minutes it shuts down!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

Fried motherboard. :thumbsup:

Sorry buddy. You're going to need a new computer.

You can save the Hard-drive and other hardware if you wish to save some money though.

Edited by WlkingMan, 18 May 2007 - 11:51 AM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

Before I'd write off the mobo, I'd strip the machine down to the bare minium-power supply, one stick of ram, take out the graphics card (if you have a vga output on the mobo), unplug any/all CD/DVD drives, remove the sound card (if you have one)-and try to boot up. If it fails, then take out the stick of ram and replace it with the other stick (single sticks should be in the right most slot).

If this fails, I'd double check all the connections and wiggle cables to rule them out. If nothing helps, then your mobo might just be fried :thumbsup:

Of course, if it's under warranty, tell Dell and they should replace it.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 jtewell

jtewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

Have a Dell Inspiron 600 and have a problem with it booting up. Press the power button and the power and keyboard light come on but thats all it dose. I don't get anything on the monitor and after a few minutes it shuts down!

I guessed as much but I guess I needed someone to tell me, Thanks...

#5 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:04 PM

Before I'd write off the mobo, I'd strip the machine down to the bare minium-power supply, one stick of ram, take out the graphics card (if you have a vga output on the mobo), unplug any/all CD/DVD drives, remove the sound card (if you have one)-and try to boot up. If it fails, then take out the stick of ram and replace it with the other stick (single sticks should be in the right most slot).

If this fails, I'd double check all the connections and wiggle cables to rule them out. If nothing helps, then your mobo might just be fried :thumbsup:

Of course, if it's under warranty, tell Dell and they should replace it.

It is no problem but you might want to check into stevealmighty's response. It could save you quite a bit of money, time, and effort.

Edited by WlkingMan, 18 May 2007 - 04:06 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users