Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Held Right Shift Key Down Too Long & Got Filter Keys...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Krazy Kat

Krazy Kat

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

When I held down Right Shift keys too long I got this Filter Keys message, so I impatiently clicked Cancel, but then it was like Caps Lock (a real worthless key anyway) was permanently ON and I could not type any numbers.

I tried turning this feature off; cannot tell you exactly what I did because I was in a big ol' impatient hurry...always a mistake. This was at my work and it was late so I just thought I'd deal with it later and logged off.

OOPS! Stupid move, because our Password has a number in it and I cannot type numbers! Sure enough, I tried to log back on and got a message that Caps Lock was on and that would affect my password, but regardless whether I click Caps Locks ON or OFF, I still cannot type numbers and still cannot log on. (Yes, I checked Num Lock.)

When I got home I found a post from Nov. 13, 2005 about Filter Keys and the fix, but my problem now is getting back on the computer when I cannot type numbers.

I'm gonna be in a world of dookie if I have to call our IT person about this....any ideas?

Hopefully...
Krazy Kat

P.S. I also posted this in the Windows NT 2000 forum because I cannot remember which operating system my work computer uses (just got a new one). I hope that is not a no-no.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

Press the shift key 5 times quickly then cancel out of the message box.

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:00 AM

ctually, it worked on one computer, then not on this one.

However, when I retried something else on this computer....I just kept going through the holding shift and tapping it and eventually it went back to normal.

What a weird feature.

#4 Krazy Kat

Krazy Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

Well, I don't think that will work because I cannot even get logged onto the computer. I cannot type numbers & there's a number in my password, so it's like I'm locked out of even trying to undo this Filter Key thing...and yeah, what a screwy feature. (I disabled this shortcut on my home computer as soon I as realized that's what causes the problem.)
Anybody else got any insights? Anybody...?

#5 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:15 AM

Well, I don't think that will work because I cannot even get logged onto the computer. I cannot type numbers & there's a number in my password, so it's like I'm locked out of even trying to undo this Filter Key thing...and yeah, what a screwy feature. (I disabled this shortcut on my home computer as soon I as realized that's what causes the problem.)
Anybody else got any insights? Anybody...?

If this is your work computer and you are on a domain, ask the administrator to reset your password to something that allows you to logon...otherwise, he may be able to logon as an admin and fix the problem.

I don't see any other way other than a reinstallation.

#6 Krazy Kat

Krazy Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

Thank you jwinathome...I will do this and hope I am not too much in the doghouse at work. Appreciate your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users