Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Held Right Shift Key Down Too Long & Got This Filter Keys Thing...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Krazy Kat

Krazy Kat

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:38 AM

When I held down Right Shift keys too long I got this Filter Keys message, so I impatiently clicked Cancel, but then it was like Caps Lock (a real worthless key anyway) was permanently ON and I could not type any numbers.

I tried turning this feature off; cannot tell you exactly what I did because I was in a big ol' impatient hurry...always a mistake. This was at my work and it was late so I just thought I'd deal with it later and logged off.

OOPS! Stupid move, because our Password has a number in it and I cannot type numbers! Sure enough, I tried to log back on and got a message that Caps Lock was on and that would affect my password, but regardless whether I click Caps Locks ON or OFF, I still cannot type numbers and still cannot log on. (Yes, I checked Num Lock.)

When I got home I found a post from Nov. 13, 2005 about Filter Keys and the fix, but my problem now is getting back on the computer when I cannot type numbers.

I'm gonna be in a world of dookie if I have to call our IT person about this....any ideas?

Hopefully...
Krazy Kat

P.S. There was another bad effect of all this, but I will put it in a separate post, if that's OK.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

Hi Krazy Kat,

I remember something like that happening to me once but I use XP home and I took my time and read through the whole warning not that had popped up, followed the instructions and order was restored to the Cyberuniverse.

You mentioned that "Another" bad side affect had manifested its self as a result of this problem. You should edit this post and include that information here as it could be key to overcoming your current dilemma.

Calling your IT people, sooner rather than later, is most likely the best idea here as nothing upsets a Boss more than an attempted cover-up Boo.

That's my .02 worth.

Good luck,
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

removed

Edited by gavinseabrook, 18 May 2007 - 06:27 PM.

Gavin Seabrook

#4 Krazy Kat

Krazy Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

I appreciate your "2 cents worth" but now all is well. I called my boss about it and she just shut down computer, turned it back on and no prob. Numbers worked again. So, duh! I panicked prematurely. (What's new?) But you betcha I'm gonna uncheck that shortcut when I go back to work. I wish all bleeping computer uh-ohs could be so easily resolved.

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:27 PM

Hi Krazy Kat,

I'm glad to hear that order has been restored to the cyberuniverse and that all is well. Having to fess up wasn't as bad as you had thought that it might have been huh?

Good luck,
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users