Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Susan0352

Susan0352

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:08 AM

Hello,

Gateway pent 4 xp home edition.

The last thing my computer did was update Java.
On shutdown I noticed a different shutting down icon.
When I restarted my computer this morning, it showed the LOGO, then went to the windows loading screen then went to a black screen and stayed there.

I shut down by pressing and holding the button.
When I restarted it went to:
Logo (long delay here), then "We apologize with options safe/safe mode with command prompt/start windows normally/
I did nothing and it counted down then went to windows xp logo and started the loading process after about a minute it went to black screen and stayed there.
I restarted (cold boot), and tried safe mode with same outcome but without showing the windows xp logo.
I restarted using all the methods available on the list..I was able to arrow up and down through the list.
I put in my operating CD and restarted computer, the drive light blinked a few times, then nothing but a black screen.

Can someone help me please...

Thanks Susan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

Did you change your first boot device in BIOS setting to CDROM as your first boot device.

If you have not done so, you will not be able to boot into your Window CD.

Edited by Nikas, 18 May 2007 - 11:32 AM.

#3 Susan0352

Susan0352
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

no I didn't do that..
I am not sure what you mean.
Will that wipeout all my files?

Thanks for your help.. Susan

#4 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:18 PM

Well, booting into Window CD will not wipe your files.

Basically, after booting into your Window CD. It will let choose whether to use recovery console, repair/reformat window.

Here is a website to guide you how to change the boot device.

Change Boot Device Order

They also provide different BIOS Screenshot example such as AmiBios, Award Bios and for Dell Systems. Look out for yours. If there is not, basically, it should be about the same for the others BIOS.

After you have set your first boot device to CDROM, restart and you should see this message "Press any Key when you see the prompt to 'Press Any Key""
Just press any key to continue.

After it loads finish, you should go to a blue page. press ENTER to start the Windows Setup program.

At the screen which lists the machine current Windows installations, select the problem Windows XP installation from the list and press R to begin the repair process. With any luck, this will refresh your system files and have them back working normally.

PS: Please be careful if you attempt to repair, because you might end up reformatting the drive. Which as a result, cause you to lose all your data. Please read the instruction given at the screen carefully!

Edited by Nikas, 18 May 2007 - 01:36 PM.

#5 Susan0352

Susan0352
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:08 PM

Thanks I will try that.. I'll let you know

#6 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:34 AM

I found a site which teaches you how to do a repair in Window XP.

Geekstogo

Maybe you would like to take a look.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:08 AM

Gateways generally use F10 to open a boot menu where you can elect to boot from the CD drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Susan0352

Susan0352
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:09 PM

Gateways generally use F10 to open a boot menu where you can elect to boot from the CD drive.

Thanks for all the help.

Turns out my hard drive crashed..I have since installed a new one. It seems my computer doesn't want SP2 now, I install it and it brings up the apology screen I have tried this twice, I went to safe mode and restored computer to before SP2 was installed, and it works fine. However I am missing out on a lot of secure features. Are there any solutions to this one.

Thanks Susan

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:49 AM

Is your os cd the gateway provided restore cd or the actual XP cd? if it is the gateway restore cd, press the F11 key when the splash screen (BigG) is still up. press the r key to run the full restore. This will run the gateway recovery program. all you need to do then will be to follow the on screen instructions.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users