Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Do U Need To Use Routers?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:22 AM

I've been on this forum for quite a while now and i've seen that ppl located in US use routers for home use wish is very uncommon where i come from.
So i was wondering why do u need to use routers at home?

I am very familiar with routers , i am a CISCO CCNA certificate and i know how to configure routers and all about IOS configuration and using routers to connect WAN's and all, but its just unfamiliar for me to see routers used at home.

I've come up to a conclusion that maybe u use routers to share the internet connection over many computers at home and since the network that provide u the internet is defenitly different than the network u will use to connect ur home PCs than u need a router to make the connection between the 2 different networks, but still i've seen that very non-techie ppl buy those routers and i was wondering how do they know how to configure them?? or maybe they r routers with no need for configuration?

i appreciate any help on this one.
thanks.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:52 AM

Hi Wassim,

Here in the US most people use a router for two reasons.

1. It makes it easy to share a high-speed internet connection among several computers located in different parts of the house. here is a link to the manual for my own router; you can judge for yourself how difficult the setup is, but I think most people can do it themselves, or find a geeky friend/family member to help them. The hardest part is securing the wireless connection (if they use wireless; most people do).

2. The router is also a hardware firewall using NAT, so that even if the computers on the network do not have software firewalls installed and configured, at least there is some basic protection in place. I always recommend that people install a two-way software firewall on each computer, but I have a feeling many people do not. Configuring the software firewall is more of a hassle than setting up a router.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers,

Dave

#3 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:44 AM

Hey Dave,

now i do have a clear idea why ppl use routers in the US for home use, especially if u wanna share a DSL connection, i guess those routers r more commercial and for home use than the professional ones that i've seen, anyway US ppl always do things in a different way ;)

thanks for ur help.

cheers.

#4 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:53 AM

Hi again Dave,

after reading ur router manual, i guess its not that difficult after all, i guess i'm gonna get a router myself and use it at my place.

thanks again.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:33 PM

And here's a ton of comments and pictures of Linksys WRT54G series, it might be more familiar to you due to Cisco
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G
http://www.linksys.com

The only difficult part in configuring the router is matching the configuration of protocols to what your ISP wants (such as PPPoE and others).

#6 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:33 PM

thanks guys,
so now may i know how much a Linksys WRT54G costs approximatly in the US?

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

LINKSYS WRT54G IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Retail $54.99
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

Wassim
There is one other reason for a router. It relieves your computer of dealing with people pinging you all the time, in which case your software firewall has to do a lot of work on your computer, and log thousands of break-in/connection/noisy traffic attempts. Make the router work instead and your computer's firewall (I assume you have something decent besides the built-in), that's what the hardware is for.

Edited by tos226, 18 May 2007 - 08:46 PM.

#9 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:33 AM

Well since we dont have real IPs here, ppl cant ping us or connect directly... but its a good reason also to use routers and it pretty cheap there in the US, i cant get less than 90 to 100 $ here

thanks tos226 & tg1911.

Edited by Wassim, 19 May 2007 - 07:49 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:14 AM

While routers are the most common connection method in the US these days - in the past people also used hubs and switches (my wife has a hub in her office). But, that's from the days before the internet became so popular.

The primary use for routers these days is:
1) Connect multiple computers to the internet (not many people use it to share stuff between the computers on the workgroup)
2) Simplicity. Routers and wireless routers are so easy to setup that almost anyone can connect computers to the internet. My daughter knows nothing about computers, yet she went out and bought a wireless router and hooked it up herself without any assistance.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users