Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extreme Windows Media Player Problems

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hatto

hatto

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:12 AM

hello world.

i own a toshiba gigabeat and yesterday whilst running an extremely routine sync, windows media player crashed and threw up an error message about the following memory reference:

0x6F665F73

after a few different attempts at combinations of restarting the computer and banging my head against walls, i reinstalled WMP and tried again. the same errors continued.

today, even before i attempted to ask windows media player to do anything, it gave me the windows error report box and after i clicked 'don't send', windows media player died. i opened WMP again, and it happened again. i restarted and this time after opening windows media player, it continued to throw up error messages even as windows media player wasn't open.

please help me at least get any idea of where to start fixing this problem.

thanks guys

Edited by hatto, 18 May 2007 - 03:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:14 AM

Have you tried a different version of WMP? WMP 8 & 9 are the most simplistic and the best. Try rollback if you have upgraded WMP. Maybe download another version of WMP from Microsoft website.
Or maybe use another media player such as Winamp or VLC Media Player.

If all fails you should try contact microsoft support.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:33 AM

First, it's advisable to send the error report - even though most times it doesn't give anything back. On the rare times that it does, it'll be a lifesaver!

So, check your Event Viewer for errors and let us know what you find (Start...Run...type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hatto

hatto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

thanks usasma for telling me about this handy event viewer.

i have checked, and the most recent errors i have been getting are for windows media player, about faultrep.dll.

i have also got some errors about osd.dll, which is the reason why the media controls on my wireless keyboard have been dying so frequently i believe.

if you might tell me how to go about fixing this, that would be greatly appreciated.

#5 hatto

hatto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

ps i have also rolled back to WMP 10, and the errors continue.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:49 AM

I would try running the System File Checker.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:15 AM

A search on similar cases has resulted in the following :

Download faultrep.dll here to your desktop. Rightclick on the file select CUT browse to the C:/Windows/system32 folder rightclick and paste. You will be prompted if you want to replace the file. Say yes.

After that go to START RUN and paste the below text in the runbox
regservr32 faultrep.dll
reboot and than perform the sfc scan as suggested by Budapest

#8 hatto

hatto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:14 AM

sorry fozzster, but when i tried to paste it into the system32 folder, it says that it can't replace it because a file with the specified name already exists. (even after giving permission to replace the file)

bizzaro world?

#9 hatto

hatto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:33 AM

another quick update, i ended up killing the dll file with killbox, and as i was about to paste the new dll, a brand new one, with a 'created' time of that minute, was automatically generated. i tried to run regsvr32 on the dll, and it threw up another error about the dllregisterserver entry point not being able to be found.

thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:34 AM

Did you try the System File Checker and if so what happened?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 hatto

hatto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:32 AM

after a lot of fussing around, i got the file checker to work (without the installation cds), and it hasn't seemed to do anything. i am still getting the errors.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

Rather than messing with this for a long time, I'd suggest a repair install of Windows at this point. It will leave your programs and data intact while replacing all of the critical operating system files (not just the protected ones that SFC.EXE does). Here's a link about it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

The biggest drawback to this is that you'll have to sit through a whole bunch of Windows Updates in order to get the system back up to speed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 hatto

hatto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:15 PM

i don't have the windows xp cd though, it came preloaded with my computer.

#14 hatto

hatto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:17 PM

also, whenever i try to back things up onto my portable harddrive, windows explorer crashes. it says that the data execution process is stopping it from working to protect me from viruses. could this be a viral issue?

Edited by hatto, 25 May 2007 - 06:18 PM.

#15 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

You bring up the possibility that you have a virus -- it is possible -- before you do a repair install you could try an online virus scanner, such as Trend Micro Housecall, if this does not cure your issues, the only thing left is the repair install of XP, as mentioned in USAMA's post.

Here are the instructions:

TrendMicro™ HouseCall Java Scan
  • Please go HERE to run the Trend Micro™ HouseCall Scan.
  • Click Scan now. It's free!
  • Read and put a Check next to Yes I accept the terms of use.
  • Click the Launching HouseCall>> button.
  • If confirmed that HouseCall can run on your system, under Using Java-based HouseCall kernel click the Starting HouseCall>> button.
  • You may receive a Security Warning about the TrendMicro Java applet, click YES.
  • Under Scan complete computer for malware, grayware, and vulnerabilities click the Next>> button.
  • Please be patient while it installs, updates, and scans your system.
  • Once the scan is complete, it will take you to the summary page.
  • Under Cleanup options, choose clean all detected infections automatically.
  • Click the Clean now>> button.
  • If anything was found you may be prompted to run the scan again, you can just close the browser window.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users