Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Basic Ubuntu/linux Terminal Commands

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tristanLymb

tristanLymb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:51 AM

hey guys

stumbled across this forum whilst looking for spyware removal tools, and thought i gotta post this question

now just so people know, i work in a computer repair shop (so im a bit computer literate :thumbsup:) and know my way around windows like the back of my hand. this also include things such as terminal server etc. so im not completely new

but to linux? well i installed ubuntu 7.04(fiest fawn?) on my crashbox a few nights ago - really enjoying its compatability hardware wise, the update process (i thought i was gonna have to apt-get or something? no deal!) and stuff yeah basically im really enjoying it, it will slowly replace my desktop, slowly...

but the bad thing is that like, i literally know not a single thing about linux, mounting drives etc, how the file structure is setup (EG c:\docs and settings\user\ <- is where the basic user settings are stored) or anything, no terminal commands or anything.

is there like maybe a eBook or something someone can link to me that will explain the bare basics of unix? like describe how its all set out, basic terminal commands (know alot about cmd, have figured out that i can "port" some commands over ahha :flowers:) etc so yeah

ok that all was a tad confusing, so yeah i need some reading material for terminal commands, and yeah a simple explination.

thanks guys ill post back again soon thanks again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:12 AM

How about here: http://www.linux.org/lessons/
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:37 AM

http://www.allcommands.com/
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#4 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

How about a quick crash course?

In Linux, everything is a file, or a folder on the hard drive. Your mouse is a "mouse.0" file, or something like that.

Instead of a 'C:\', there is the '/' root. Displayed below.

user@computer:/$
For the standard user.

user@computer:/#
For the administrator, or "root".

If you know anything about DOS, then you know of the cd command. It works almost exactly the same in Linux. Just make sure you put a space between 'cd' and the dots '..' (cd ..).

Instead of dir there is 'ls' (LS). Instead of '/?' or 'help', there is the man <keyword> command.

man mount, for more information on the 'mount' command.

Instead of having a Documents and Settings folder, Linux has a set of "Home" folders. Instead of a "My Computer" area, Linux has a set of folders to "mount" drives to. In this way, the drives become part of the root drive. They can replace ANY folder, be mounted anywhere.

Instead of 'C:\Program Files\' Linux has '/usr/bin'. Unlike 'Program Files', all of the programs are just thrown into the '/usr/bin' folder, with no categorization. This allows ANY program to instantly be used as a "command". Linux's DLL files, or 'libs' are also contained in a '/usr/lib' folder.

Unlike Windows, Linux enables 'tab completion' by default. This allows you to simply press the 'tab' button twice, to get the computer to finish typing the path, or program name for you.
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#5 tristanLymb

tristanLymb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:52 PM

thanks for all your replies :D.

monster user - basically exactly what i was looking for, as for the rest of those links, i will check them out when i get home from work

ta again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users