Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

O/s Dual Loads

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:39 AM

:huh:

Newbie here, so plz understand.........
Custom build, already has Vista Home Premium loaded, would also like to load XP home.
Vista will not let me do it, states that I have a more recent version of Windows loaded already (Vista)
How do I work around this? Do I have to dump Vista, load XP, then reload Vista again?

Thanks in advance !
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:57 AM

Newbie here, so plz understand.........
Custom build, already has Vista Home Premium loaded, would also like to load XP home.
Vista will not let me do it, states that I have a more recent version of Windows loaded already (Vista)
How do I work around this? Do I have to dump Vista, load XP, then reload Vista again?

Thanks in advance !

Update:
Silly me, went to MS site, turns out I gotta load earlier version of Windows 1st, then later.
Hope this is correct..........
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:19 AM

It's much, much easier to load XP first and then Vista - but there are ways to workaround this. Let us know and we'll make some suggestions.

Here's a link I found with a Google search (haven't tried it myself): http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:55 AM

It's much, much easier to load XP first and then Vista - but there are ways to workaround this. Let us know and we'll make some suggestions.

Here's a link I found with a Google search (haven't tried it myself): http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Hey John and others,
You'll be glad to know that I loaded XP Home onto my new build, works like a charm!
Erased all my hard drives, including Vista load, that took awhile....
Dunno if I am ever, unless I really have to, load Vista onto this system, just not enough support yet, not to mention hidden secrets.....

Aloha and Mahalo to all ! :huh:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:39 AM

I've been using Vista for about 18 months now and I love it! It's hard getting used to, but once you're used to it it's a pleasure to work with. For example, today I switched out my router - and Vista took care of everything for me except the static IP address. And, it pointed me at that so I'd remember to change it (gateway was 192.168.1.1 and now it's 192.168.0.1)

As for support, as long as you only use Vista certified apps, everything will generally work fine (plus, Vista's troubleshooting tools are way better than those in XP). Using apps that aren't certified is possible in many cases - but you've gotta play with them to make them work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 squall_1981

squall_1981

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

I'm having problems after trying to create a dual-boot on my SATA drive, that is having Vista, and adding XP. So after creating an XP partition, the computer will boot into the auto-detecting BIOS screen and freeze up. I cannot even enter the setup in BIOS or boot menu to change my boot device. I uninstalled the drive and changed my boot devices, but it still freezes up after reinstalling the SATA drive. I know the hard drive is causing the boot problem. Temporarily I have installed XP on a small IDE hard drive for now. If I could, I would try to delete the XP partition on the SATA and repair Vista, but I can't get past the frozen BIOS screen even if the IDE drive is the 1st boot device. How safe is it to plug in the SATA hard drive after booting into Windows? Would Windows even detect it for the purposes of deleting a partition? Any other ideas? I know I messed probably messed up creating the dual boot, I won't try it again. I'm not concerned about saving data, I already backed it up, I just don't want to shell out another 120 dollars for a new hard drive.
Here is the article I used to guide me. http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:41 PM

squall_1981, please start another thread for your issues. FWIW - I'd put it all back together, install XP (with the SATA drivers) and partition the drive there, then do a custom install of Vista to another partition on the hard drive. Should go smoothly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users