Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ftlmo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:21 AM

[B]I have a lot of programs or apps that come up on the desk top at start i no longer need or do i use them how do i keep them from coming up on the desk top at start up.Also can i take them out of my sytem completely.I am running windows 98.

thank you :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:27 AM

What you can do ftlmo is go into each unwanted program's properties and find a "start when Windows starts" and uncheck it. You can also remove these programs with their own uninstaller if it has one (programs don't always have their own uninstaller) .. or use Add/remove programs to get rid of them. :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Follow us on Twitter

#3 cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:37 AM

Hello FTLMO!
You said
"lot of programs or apps that come up on the desk top at start"

Do you mean on the actual desktop as icons? Or do you mean starting up in the background like the icons appear near your clock?

If there on your desktop and there like "Get aol free" icons and such that you know for sure you dont need then put the pointer over them then right click with your mouse pointer. Then a pop up will appear move your pointer to delete. Or you can if you need the icons move them to another folder such as my documents. If thats your case just click on the icon hold it(dont let go of the clicker button) and drag and drop the icon into my documents.

This way it will be out of your way but not deleted. These steps do not remove the program from your computer. You can remove the unwanted programs for good by going to START/settings/my control panel. From there find the add/remove programs list and remove what you know you dont want.

Hope this helps you.

#4 Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:44 AM

What I do is always use Add/Remove even if they have thier own un-installer. That is just my way though.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Select program you wish to un-install > Click on Add/Remove > Which will then remove the program

Do this with all programs you wish to un-install.
Un-installing a program also will remove the Desktop Icon

If you wish to remove them with thier own un-installer (if they have one)

Start > Programs > Right Click on the program you wish to un-install > If there is an un-installer for the program. You will now see it. Right Click to open. And you will be lead through the process.

While un-installing a program. I always make sure that I do not have any windows open.

Edited by scarlett, 17 January 2005 - 08:49 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users