Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Default Internet Program Set To Firefox But Ie Still Opens

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mylogicistechno

mylogicistechno

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:15 PM

I've recently acquired Windows Vista, or else this might have been easier for me to fix on my own. I have Mozilla set as the default web browser - I checked under "Default Programs" on the control panel and I went to Tools-->Options-->Main--->Check Now (to see if Firefox is default) within the browser itself and both say that it is. However, when I click a link in AIM, IE opens. For awhile Avant Browser opened, but I uninstalled that to see if it would fix the problem, and now IE opens. This is really annoying...how can I fix it?
"My eyes divide the skies
as sirens sound in Heaven
My will brings down the moon
and shatters it to pieces"
Assemblage 23 - Divide

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:34 AM

You can't fix it. Many programs (such as web-links in Outlook Express, for example) are "hard coded" to open links in Internet Explorer only, and will ignore your default browser setting if you changed it to something else. I imagine AIM is another example of this behaviour. For that reason, even though I always use Opera as my browser of choice, I leave the default set to IE. It's pointless doing otherwise if an alternative default is often ignored by some applications.

Edited by pip22, 19 May 2007 - 07:38 AM.

#3 mylogicistechno

mylogicistechno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

You can't fix it. Many programs (such as web-links in Outlook Express, for example) are "hard coded" to open links in Internet Explorer only, and will ignore your default browser setting if you changed it to something else. I imagine AIM is another example of this behaviour. For that reason, even though I always use Opera as my browser of choice, I leave the default set to IE. It's pointless doing otherwise if an alternative default is often ignored by some applications.

Hmmm...why would it open Avant then? I know Avant essentially sits on top of IE, but they're not the same thing...
"My eyes divide the skies
as sirens sound in Heaven
My will brings down the moon
and shatters it to pieces"
Assemblage 23 - Divide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users