Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI Snags Tsunami Scammer in USA

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:11 AM

FBI Snags Tsunami Scammer in USA. A Pittsburgh man arrested Thursday by the FBI is the first American to be grabbed for running a tsunami-related scam.When arrested the individual reportedly told FBI agents that he "thought it would be OK to keep the funds for his own use if he gave some of the contributions to charity,"...
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:53 AM

I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. I hate to hear it did though. People are so greedy now days with this money that they will do anything.

In the link it said

"He also said he planned to use the money to fix his cars and pay some bills. "Everybody needs money," agents quoted Schmieder as saying."

Now that man could have put his time into making money some other way. He was stealing from people who didnt even have a home left! Im just glad they caught him before it was too late.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 11:33 AM

A sad story: but think, CGM3, of the millions of people who have donated money they could have used to pay their own bills, to help people half way around the world they don't even know.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 11:46 AM

There is a very important thing people are forgetting here.
All this money is going to government agencies in those regions.
Let's go back in time, shall we?
Some of you remember the very first 'charity' concert ever done - Aid for Bangladesh. Dylan, Baez, Harrison, et al were there to perform for the overpopulated third world country. After all the funds were raised, the government pretty much pocketed the lot of it and almost nothing went to the people suffering and in desperate need of food and water and shelter.
I don't think for a minute the majority of the money will go where it is most needed. South Asia is full of corrupt governments and sadly enough, is the main reason the people are in dire straits in the first place.
People who work for the government for Bangladesh (and those who represent the USA as well) live like gods and royalty there. They don't cook or clean or walk or attend regular schools and such. They have maids, servants, chefs, and Mercedes drivers.
Indonesia doesn't want us there but they are more than happy to accept our money. Hmmm. Please don't think for a moment it's because they want to be self-reliant.
The hands of the government far outstretch those of the hungry and dying and sick.
The situation is grim and little can be done. Our best bet is to donate to organizations that promise and guarantee (as much as possible) that every dollar goes right to the people. Be leery and be careful where your money goes.

#5 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:09 PM

All i have to comment is

YAY for PA!, What a moron! :thumbsup:

I hail from PA, infact Pittsburgh is my city. just shows how much common sense people learn here from our schools.

#6 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:11 PM

After all the funds were raised, the government pretty much pocketed the lot of it and almost nothing went to the people suffering and in desperate need of food and water and shelter.
I don't think for a minute the majority of the money will go where it is most needed.

Amen Texas.. :thumbsup:
Sad but true.. In situations where poor need helping hand, there will always be longer hand collecting and leaving poor to their faith.. For all this money collected, governments of those countries can easily rebuild whole new state.
I was on my last vacantion on Bali Indonesia.. Majority of people earn something like 50 bucks a month.. You can build a villa with a swimming pool for about 50.000 $ normal house would cost a fraction of that amount..
I just wonder if all aid will be delivered to ones that need it. I sure hope so..
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#7 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:38 PM

To elaborate on what Texas said--We have our helicoptors flying non-stop with food and water in Indonesia. I know that the govt of this sad nation has helicoptors also. I'm guessing that most of them are sitting near the govt buildings
just in case one of the "leaders" needs to go somewhere (visit a "flower house" or pick up some of his graft money). So sad-very sad. One of the govts let out that they knew the Tsunami was coming but they didn't know how severe and they didn't want to endanger "unnecessarilly" the tourist industry by passing this info on.
Any lessening of tourism would affect the greedy pockets of these great "leaders".
So Sad :trumpet: :thumbsup: :inlove: :flowers:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#8 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:52 PM

Sad beyond words, Ed.
One more thing I forgot to mention.
Perhaps y'all hadn't heard this.
A Muslim cleric in the middle east has gone on record as saying that the USA
was setting off bombs underwater in the region and that is what REALLY created the tsunamis. I'll bet the majority of the Arab world believe that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users