Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cheap Build For A Friend

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:31 PM

My friend needs a new computer. So after looking at dell, and some other places he didn't like the price, and I didn't like the computers. So I made a build for him on newegg, for about 450$, that I think is a pretty good deal. Here it is:

Processor . My only worry is if the thermal paste on it is good? For another friends build, the paste included with his pentium D was making it overheat.

DVD burner

Hard Drive

Case + PSU . I believe the power supply is good since my other friend is using the same one with a pentium D, 2gb's of ram, and an 8600Gt.

Motherboard . I liked the integrated graphics in it since he will be doing some light gaming.

Ram I've used this brand before in my computer and was very pleased.

Vista Basic

Is all this good? Also, I noticed the motherboard doesn't come with an IDE cable for the dvd burner, but I can find one around here easily. Thanks for reading this!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:47 PM

Not to shabby! My biggest concern is the power supply....I'm a stickler for a good psu-which I've learned the hard way. Even if you get a small, name brand psu, it's much better than a high wattage, no-name psu. Might want to get a different case and order the psu seperatly....just MHO. :thumbsup:

As for the thermal paste, if you're worried about it, order some name brand stuff. It's inexpensive and well worth the price. Oh, and the thermal paste doesn't cause the cpu to overheat, actually if it's applied right, even cheap thermal paste will do the trick-->I've got the cheap thermal paste that came with my 2.93ghz celeron, which is now overclocked to 3.3x and isn't running hot. Of course, good case ventilation is always helpful :inlove:

Note that the mobo that you picked is a micro ATX....hope you have small hands with really skinny fingers :cool:

My only other catch is the onboard (shared) graphics. I'd go with a cheap gfx card before I'd rely on integrated....even for "light gaming". A decent graphics card can be purchased for about $100 USD (not sure what the conversion would be if you're overseas). Again, just better to have something nice then to have something sucking the resources from your mobo and ram from your machine. :trumpet:

On the flip side, I don't see why this stuff can't get put right together out of the box and be up and running with a handsome new computer in no time flat! Nice build! :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:50 AM

Looks good, I agree with steve about the power supply, too many people take it for granted. Also, are you sure about Vista? Seems like I've read you need 2gig ram to make it do as good as XP does with 1 gig. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the replies! By light gaming though I mean maybe like one old game. Also, that board has pcix16 slot anyways so if he wants to play new games he can. Also, my other friend has a nice new thermaltake psu laying around (bought by mistake), so if that power supply doesn't work he said he will sell it for only 20$.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users