Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fat And Fat32 Partitions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rawarrior

rawarrior

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

Hi first time at bleeping com how would i convert my fat partition to fat32 ? running windows xp sp2 had tech probblems and end up having different partition created from fat32 to fat how do i solve ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:48 PM

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that XP can run off of a FAT32 partition. It is best to use NTFS.

If you did want to convert though, then you would need to format your entire HDD, which would wipe EVERYTHING on it.

#3 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:22 PM

Windows XP can be installed on either a FAT32 or NTFS partition. If you choose to install on FAT32 initially, you can convert the partition to NTFS at a later time. Details here. You will not lose any data.

It sounds like the problem here however is converting a FAT16 partition to FAT32. This was possible with the Windows 9x operating systems (95, 98 including SE, and ME) but is not possible with Windows XP. The only way to do it on an XP system is to use a third party tool like Partition Magic. More info can be found here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users