Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brave Sentry Infection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tigger9989

Tigger9989

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:55 AM

Hi,
I am hoping someone can assist me. Last night my XP system was infected with Brave Sentry. Unfortunately I am finding the tutorials out there hard to work with, because I cannot properly shut down the computer to run it in safe mode (I can unplug the system, that's about it) and also I cannot get on the internet to download tools because my computer is beyond slow. I can still see all the stuff on my desktop, but all that will run is Brave Sentry.
I am willing to purchase something to clean this up-any recommendations? Or any hints for getting my computer into safe mode?
Yes, I will have a firewall after all this craziness is over!
Thanks for your input-you may e-mail me privately if you wish.
Jen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:57 AM

You should still be able to get into safe mode from a hard reboot. If you force the shutoff then power back on, tap F8 repeatedly until the safe mode boot menu appears.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

See the self-help guide How to remove Brave Sentry.

Since you cannot use your Internet, you are going to need access to another computer (family member, friend, etc) with an Internet connection. Print out the instructions provided in the self-help guide above, download smitfraudfix to a usb stick, transfer it to your computer and run it in normal mode if you cannot use safe mode.

Download and save RogueRemover to your usb stick, transfer it and double-click to run if your still having problems after running smitfraudfix.
  • Double-click on rr-free-setup.exe to install in C:\Program Files\RogueRemover.
  • During the installation an icon will automatically be created on your Desktop.
  • Double-click on the RogueRemover icon to launch the program.
  • Select "Scan" and the program will walk you through the remaining steps.
While your at it download and save HijackThis 1.99.1 to your usb stick. This is a self-extracting version which will automatically install HJT in the proper location if we need to use it. DO NOT fix anything with this tool unless advised. We are downloading this tool in case you need to use it later.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users