Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Hangs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blackburb

blackburb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

Have XP Professional installed on a dell thinkpad. Was running slow with lots of spyware and viruses. Got most quarintined and stilll had Vundo on it. Ran VundoFix which appeared to be successful. Now on reboot, "error C:\WINDOWS\system32\ysmovnai.dll Cannnot be found." The Task and tool bars never load and have an hourglass when the cursor is moved over them. Taskmanager will initialize only to the point of being able to do a shutdown. Shutdown hangs with "Saving your settings" for hours.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blackburb

blackburb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:36 AM

Also on loading, receive a RUNDLL error "Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\ysmovnai.dll THe specified modure could not be found"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

I think that there's a couple of issues here. One is that there may still be other infections on the system that are causing this. Another is that the Vundo fix may have "fixed" some critical files - and now they're not working. Finally, the error messages are likely to be remnants of an incomplete or improper fix - and they're still looking to load the virus which no longer is on your system.

I'd suggest a repair install of XP in order to get the system functioning ( http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ) and then several virus scans to make sure the system is clean. Here's a couple of free, online scans:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 blackburb

blackburb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

Seems like I finally got the Vundo taken care of. Now have a darksma trojan. It has disabled my wireless hardware and connection.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:45 PM

A couple of options here.

You can fight with it just to get online - and then try cleaning it with the HiJackThis team. No telling how long that'll take.

Or, you can bite the bullet, backup your stuff (if able), mark the backups as infected, and then format and reinstall Windows. It's a long process also - so the choice is yours.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 blackburb

blackburb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:09 AM

When Vundo was removed it affected my wireless drivers. After refreshing the drivers everything is working again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users