Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound Except.....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kryptonite

Kryptonite

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:49 AM

My HP laptop DV1860us had sound before I went on a trip and has no sound after returning. No one used the computer while I was gone.

XP, Centrino Duo 1.83ghz, 1 gig ram.

Tried to play an album in my play list on Win Media Player and get a message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

Looked in device manager. No ! and everything is listed. Noticed that the mute button was on. Unchecked it and heard a sound. Tried playing a Win .wav sound and got the same message as above. Some options are greyed out ( not available )

During this time my AVG was updating and when it was finished it made a beeping sound twice.

So under certain conditions sound comes out of the computer but for the most part there is no sound.
One other thing that I noticed. This laptop has buttons along the top for volumn control and muting. I have used the mute button alot when I do not want or need to hear sounds. Usually it is lit like all of the other option buttons. Now it is without a light.

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leosageheart

Leosageheart

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

You could be trying to play a file that isn't supported by Windows Media?

If this is not the case try uninstalling your sound drivers and reinstall.

Posted Image

#3 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:00 AM

You could be trying to play a file that isn't supported by Windows Media?

If this is not the case try uninstalling your sound drivers and reinstall.

I tried a program called Rhapsody and had the same problem.

I also tried playing a .wav file from the control panel and the > option was greyed out; not available so to speak.

Just tried media player again after hearing a warning sound when trying to sign in to BleepingComputer without my password and heard a beeping warning with a message to type in my password. The message I got from media player is:
C00D11BA: Cannot play the file
Does that help to DX the problem?

#4 Leosageheart

Leosageheart

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:19 AM

I had the cannot play this file on some video, try downloading QuickTime or PowerDVD player. And did you uninstall the sound drivers and reinstall or reboot?

Posted Image

#5 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

I had the cannot play this file on some video, try downloading QuickTime or PowerDVD player. And did you uninstall the sound drivers and reinstall or reboot?

Uninstall the sound drivers?

I just downloaded Media player 11. Still got problems. When I tried playing an album on 11 this is the message I got:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

#6 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

Did you uninstall the program before you re-installed it? I believe you should always do that...

Also, have there been firmware upgrades? That destroyed my poor little LG DVD/CD RW running Nero 6 OEM. I will open a separate topic unless a reader can give me an idea.

Make sure your Windows Installer program is still there and functioning, and that you have all the updates. Check your history to see if it did anything to your program.

I had downloaded some music from Napster and then deleted Napster (suspected intrusions). To test your problem, I opened win media player, and the only song it will play is the demo. I tried to play others but they want me to download Napster and I just don't want to, but sure want to listen to Beck!!!

Then I just got a Win Media message saying I needed to refresh some protected files so I can continue to use them from my online store. Does anybody trust Napster?

Idon't trust my machine either. I have to type in my password to hotmail twice EVERY TIME I logon. Feels like a keylogger is there... Variety of protection programs occasionally find and clean "bad things" and machine running slower than it should. Description in my profile if anyone is interested.

So, I didn't get the same message you got. But instead of trying to manipulate drivers, I would just try to uninstall and then do a reinstall. PS: and I was guilty of this: are all your plugs connected? :thumbsup:

I think it's a good idea to download another player. If THAT doesn't work, they maybe you do have hardware problems. Besides the control panel, do you have any software to test your hardware? Bleeping has a whole list of free programs... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Edited by joygreen, 21 May 2007 - 08:27 PM.

"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users