Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommended Security?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 orange parrott

orange parrott

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:35 AM

Hi all, i appreciate any help you guys (and gals) can give me. I recently purchased a new laptop, and since I'm not super computer saavy, I was wondering if anyone can suggest what I need in terms of security. Is there one commercial product I can buy that will cover me? Or (and perhaps more easily) is there a list of free products that someone can suggest I download that should keep me safe?

I generally just do some basic web-surfing, but I do need to bank online, and I do play poker online a fair amount, but only on one site. I bought an HP Pavilion, here are the basics: Intel Core Duo Processor, 80GB Hard Drive, 1GB RAM. Hope that helps (I'm hoping not to bog down my machine if possible with all the security software). Again, any help is much appreciated. Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,739 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

Welcome orange parrott. :thumbsup:

See BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources.
See BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for infection, read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"The Ten Most Dangerous Things Users Do Online".
"Seven ways to keep your search history private".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 orange parrott

orange parrott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:51 AM

thanks, quietman. I'll definitely check this out. My biggest fear, I guess, is missing something and not being covered in a certain arena when it comes to security.

#4 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:52 AM

There is no one product that can completely cover you.
You definitely need an antivirus and a firewall. If there is a trial version of a commercial antivirus on your computer, you can continue to use its protection or download a free antivirus. (Before installing a new antivirus, you need to uninstall the previous one; it is not recommended for you to have 2 antiviruses running.) You should also have an antispyware product.

Here is a list of freeware applications:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I personally use AntiVir (antivirus), AVG antispyware, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.
Just be sure, whatever products you decide to use, that you update and scan with them at least once a week; it will ensure your protection.

You can also read this article:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
It's for before posting a HijackThis log (which I don't think you're going to do now), but it gives you steps to take for cleaning and what products are generally recommended here.
Just check out steps 4-8.

If you need any further info on any of the programs, don't hesitate to ask. Someone here will help you out.

:trumpet: Tink

EDIT: Took too long to type. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by tink536, 17 May 2007 - 08:53 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#5 orange parrott

orange parrott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:05 AM

thanks, tink. you guys are awesome.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,739 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:11 AM

We try. :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:23 AM

You're welcome :flowers:

Hope everything works out! :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#8 fos

fos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:52 AM

Hi,
orange parrott if u wanna great security against any internet threat i think u should channelize your system use antivirus softare , firewall etc and u can contact any company providing service like that ...once i had infected badly by virus or internet threat but i have fixed now i have antivirus software.. firewall and i m also keep in contact with InfolockTech providing good services against internet threats...so you need to protect your pc while u appear online and should have some good anti software for protecting your system...
Regards

#9 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:28 AM

Orange, first, there is no software that can cover you completely from malware. Firewall and AntiVirus are two important software. You've got to buy/download them if you do want good protection. Firewalls cover you from hackers, antivirus tools are searching for viruses in your computer, and then if you do want tools for spyware, there are tools out on the Internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users