Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microphone Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Leosageheart

Leosageheart

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:33 AM

Okay, I've tried everything I can think of, now I have to seek outside help.

My microphone has been on the fritz for about a year now. When I go on TeamSpeak and want to talk, it only lets me 50% maybe less of the time. The other time it sounds like this -

http://files.filefront.com//;7532822;;/

Ear piercing no daughter would want, its really annoying to others that I talk to in TeamSpeak.

I've tried everything, new microphone, new sound card, new motherboard... I don't really know what else is needed.

I use a Logitech microphone, Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card, and Windows XP Home Edition installed.

If anyone can and is willing to help me it would be much appreciated. If you need any other information just post.

Thanks in advance,

~Leo

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:37 AM

Have you tried setting the microphone settings to default in Windows, then trying to tweak the settings in TS? Try setting it to PTT (Push To Talk) rather than having a sensitivity setting for when you talk. See if that makes a difference. If not, we'll go from there. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Leosageheart

Leosageheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:38 AM

I have done that unfortunately, it made no difference. And I always use PTT because background noises are quite frequent here.

Posted Image

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:13 AM

Have you tried a different microphone? Have you tried a USB microphone? Have you tried a stand alone mic (not one with a headset)? I can't get to your clip that you linked to because I'm at work (firewall/security etc.), so I can't listent to see exactly what noise is being made. Sorry for all the questions, but these are things that I'd try if it were me having this issue!

One thing is where do you have your wire running? Meaning, the wire that goes from your headset/mic to your sound card? Ensure that it's not near any power cords or other speaker cords (specially the power cords, outlets and power strips). Electiricity will cause interference with speakers/headsets/microphones.

Also, if you have your CD/DVD drive plugged directly into your sound card, try unplugging it just to rule that out too!

I'm guessing that you're gaming when on TS?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Leosageheart

Leosageheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:21 AM

Have you tried a different microphone? Have you tried a USB microphone? Have you tried a stand alone mic (not one with a headset)? I can't get to your clip that you linked to because I'm at work (firewall/security etc.), so I can't listent to see exactly what noise is being made. Sorry for all the questions, but these are things that I'd try if it were me having this issue!

Never thought of the USB microphones, all the other suggestions above I have tried. USB microphones are sold here at the only store I can think of, I'll try Radioshack tomorrow when I get off work though. Think of turning on a TV, changing it to a random channel, unplug the cable, and turn the volume to max. That would be almost identical to my microphone sound.

One thing is where do you have your wire running? Meaning, the wire that goes from your headset/mic to your sound card? Ensure that it's not near any power cords or other speaker cords (specially the power cords, outlets and power strips). Electiricity will cause interference with speakers/headsets/microphones.

No, I have moved in the last year, it happened no matter where my cords were. Also tried getting the speakers as far away from the chair and microphone, that didn't work.

Also, if you have your CD/DVD drive plugged directly into your sound card, try unplugging it just to rule that out too!

They aren't.

I'm guessing that you're gaming when on TS?

Yes, runescape lol.

Posted Image

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

Try the USB mic to see if that helps. If you've got a USB headset for a playstation 2, that will work with your computer USB (like a mic from SOCOM Navy Seals). Be sure to let windows finish installing the USB headset before you start wondering why it's not working (not that I've ever done that :thumbsup: ). Also, what are you playing RS in (Internet Explorer or Mozilla Fire Fox)? If it's IE, then what version? I know that there were audio issues when playing in fire fox and I *think* that there were audio issues with the latest IE too....not sure if this would conflict with TS or not though..... :flowers:

What else do you have running in the background when your on TS? Make sure that you don't have things like AOL, Yahoo and even Xfire running, as they all have audio (mic) abilities that might cause the problem.

Did your headset come with a driver?

Oh, be sure to check the return policy for Radio shack, so if the USB mic doesn't help, you can take it back for a refund-no need to waste money. I know that Best Buy has a "30 day no questions asked" return policy.
Posted Image

#7 Leosageheart

Leosageheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:09 AM

Try the USB mic to see if that helps. If you've got a USB headset for a playstation 2, that will work with your computer USB (like a mic from SOCOM Navy Seals). Be sure to let windows finish installing the USB headset before you start wondering why it's not working (not that I've ever done that :thumbsup: ). Also, what are you playing RS in (Internet Explorer or Mozilla Fire Fox)? If it's IE, then what version? I know that there were audio issues when playing in fire fox and I *think* that there were audio issues with the latest IE too....not sure if this would conflict with TS or not though..... :trumpet:

Firefox, I thought they fixed that in the new version? :flowers:

What else do you have running in the background when your on TS? Make sure that you don't have things like AOL, Yahoo and even Xfire running, as they all have audio (mic) abilities that might cause the problem.

Windows Live Messenger, mIRC, Firefox, Gadwin Printscreen, and the Java platform of course.

Did your headset come with a driver?

Nope :inlove:

Oh, be sure to check the return policy for Radio shack, so if the USB mic doesn't help, you can take it back for a refund-no need to waste money. I know that Best Buy has a "30 day no questions asked" return policy.

Best buy is 30-45 minutes away, rather not drive that far for just a microphone, if radioshack doesn't have it it might be awhile before I go to Best Buy.

I'll try and get back to you, if anyone else thinks of anything let me know.

Posted Image

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:34 AM

Windows Live Messenger, mIRC, Firefox, Gadwin Printscreen, and the Java platform of course.

Try disabling all of them (or as many as you can) and try it. I can see where a soundcard would get confused having more than one chat going at the same time.

Also, have you tried installing the latest drivers from Creatives website (for your soundcard)? You can get them HERE.

Best of luck with all of this-hope you get it fixed! Let us know! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users