Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Screen Is Breaking Up...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Niki

Niki

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:00 AM

Hello,

If I am in the wrong forum, could someone please redirect me?

As I write this my screen is breaking up with increasing numbers of roughly 5cm and 10cm long horizontal lines. This happens after the computer has been on for a few minutes. The screen also blacks out and then comes back to life. If I turn the computer off for a while and reboot I get a few more minutes of a readable screen again, as if cooling down is beneficial.

I have a Dell Dimension 8200, P4, 512MB, 64MB DDR Nvidia Geforce3 Ti500 with TV Out, bought in February 2002.

Does anyone know what is likely wrong? Age of graphics card, hard drive? The computer is making a bit more noise than usual, a sort of deeper whirring sound.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Niki

Edited by Niki, 17 May 2007 - 03:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:34 PM

Have you tried checking the monitor settings?
Has your monitor been bumped around lately?
Make sure the video card is fully inserted into it's socket, and the cable from the monitor is fully seated in the socket.
Check the end of the monitor cable and make sure that there are no broken or bent pins.
If you have another monitor, try it, and see if the problem persists, if so, then it's probably the video card.

Try running it in Safe Mode.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
If the lines are not present, the problem is probably your video card.
If they are still present, it's probably the monitor.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:28 PM

A louder noise could be one of the fans starting to fail, causing it to overheat. If you can, open the case and try to pinpoint the noise. Have you ever had it apart to clean out all the dust bunnies?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:20 PM

Dust bunnies get prety fierce when left to mulitply :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Niki

Niki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

Thanks everyone,

Sorry for leaving it so long to get back to you, was concentrating on getting another system up and running and all my settings, files etc transferred before the s**t hit the fan.

Talking of fans, I ran the computer with its guts exposed and had no lines appearing, closed it up and they came back pretty quickly again. So I had a closer look inside for fans and found that the graphics card's fan was simply choking on so much dust, it looked like fur. I haven't been up and running that long yet but at the moment I have no lines. Will surely let you know if they come back.

Appreciate the support very much,
Niki

#6 Niki

Niki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:28 AM

Hello,

Back again! Unfortunately, the lines reappear when I close up the back of the computer. If I keep it open, they stay away. I checked the fan and it is working OK as far as I can see, I even removed a PCI card adjacent to the graphics card but it still seems to need the back open in order for enough air to circulate and for the graphics card not to overheat.

So, my question is, is it possible once a graphics card has over heated enough or enough times for the card to spoil in the sense that it needs extra ventilation to keep it cool enough to run normally? Could I have passed some threshold? Or, can there be some other reason the card is overheating? I am making an assumption that this is the problem I have but it just seems that way to me - the times the lines have appeared and finally the screen has blacked out on me, the graphics card was simply boiling hot.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Niki

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:43 AM

Is there a heat sink between the fan and the chip, and if so did you clean any dust out from between the blades of the heat sink? Perhaps the thermal contact between the heatsink and the chip has "broken".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users