Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Helpppppp.................!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:57 AM

One time I put my attention to my PC which kept on restarting .I assumed it was full of dust so I opened the case and blew the dust off.It was really full of thick dust.But when I put everything back I found out hd's led did not come on and there was no single sound I could hear.The monitor shows the "intel desktop logo " in blue screen and then stops after few seconds the monitors led turns orange.
When I checked the RAm it was fully seated as well as the IDE cables connectiing the hd to motherboard.
I was not only sure if it shoould be plugged into white ide slot which is the second slot or the one that comes first.I even unplugged floppy disk drive and the cd drive frm the mother board to check if it wll work but remained the same.CD was coming on even if it's IDE cable was not connected to the motherboard.I was wondering why.Pls tell me how to put the hd back to its position properly.It was booting normally before the prob was that it kept on restarting randomly/Thanks for your suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:40 AM

Recheck your IDE and molex connectors. The two IDE connectors on the motherboard are usually seen looking from left to right down on them as primary and secondary. The hdd is usually plugged into the primary location. If you have power to the hdd and the IDE cable is in good repair and connected properly then you could have a dead hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

Let us know the exact make and model of your system (or the motherboard if it was custom built) and we'll be able to provide more specific suggestions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:54 AM

Usasma, Im sorry for the delayed response.

Here's this PC's specs:

System Mnufacturer D815EW
System Model EW81510A
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel 1129 Mhz
BIOS version/date Intel Corp EW815150A.86A.0044.P03,10/16/2001
SMBIOS version 2.3
Total Physical Memory 128 mb(PC133)
Cache Ram 256

Thanks.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

Not much info is available for your mobo. I'd suggest looking carefully at the motherboard to determine which of the two slots for the hard drive is primary, and which is secondary. You may be able to find this information out in the BIOS by looking for where the current hard drive is hooked up to.

Please ensure that the computer is unplugged from the wall and that you're grounded on the metal chassis of the computer while messing around inside the case.

Next, try another ribbon cable in place of the current one. You can usually get them cheaply at a small computer repair shop.

Then:
1) Reseat the cable where it plugs into the motherboard
2) Ensure that the jumper settings on the hard drive correspond to where the cable plugs into the hard drive (If on Master, then the far end of the cable must be plugged into the hard drive - if on Slave, then the middle connector must be plugged in - if on CS (cable select), I'd recommend plugging it into the end but it's not required).
3) Ensure that it's seated properly, and then ensure that the power connector is also seated properly.
4) Fire up the system and check to see that the hard drive is actually running (you can hear or feel it by gently touching the side of the drive).
5) If all that works, then I'd suggest trying a free diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive to see if it has failed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:38 PM

Yes, I have prepared Seatools, a free diagnostic tool for dos from seagate, but I just couldnt figure out how I am going to use it.I stored it in a floppy disk as I thought this should be run in windows mode.
But when I booted the PC from bootable disk and ran seatools, it was saying that the program can not be run in dos mode.Kindly should me the way how to use this hd tool.Thanks.

#7 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

And may I know if the BIOS version installed on this PC can be upgraded?May be this requires flashing of new BIOS.What do I need to know?With small details I gave you, do you think this will work,or will this most likely damage the motherboard more severely?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:17 AM

Since the floppy tool isn't working for you, I'd suggest trying the ISO CD-ROM image. Burn the image (not the file) to a CD using an free ISO recorder utility ( one is at http://www.deepburner.com ). An ISO image is laid out so that when it's burned to the CD, the boot files are located in the proper location (that's why the special tool is needed).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users