Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Didn't Password Protect Frontpage On My Computer!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 joalrabr

joalrabr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:26 AM

I participated in the Microsoft Office Live Beta Web Site/Host project with a FrontPage website until all was finalized and turned over. When the beta program ended Microsoft decided not support FrontPage websites so I had to look for another host. I could have stayed with Office Live because it is possible to publish with a third party program. except after all was finalized I couldn't access my website to edit it because it was somehow blocked during the process of change. I had a continuous error message that said: "Server error: Additions to this website have been blocked.Please contact the administrator to resolve this problem." A couple of days after that the error message changed to : "This web site has been configured to disallow editing with FrontPage. Contact your web site administrator for more information."

I began the process with Microsoft to try to fix it but after 2 1/2 weeks no progress was being made and I had made the decision to find a new host anyway. My site was up and running. I didn't have to make any immediate changes and I assumed when I cancelled the account I would have access back at least locally and would be able to publish with the new host with no problem. However, when the service was cancelled the site became password protected. I have NEVER assigned a password to this site on my computer. Nothing on any of my computers has ever been password protected. I can rewrite my web site without to much trouble. But, I do have alit of unpublished info. that I would like not to lose. The problem is I can't rename a rewritten site with the same domain.com. I would like to avoid uninstalling and losing what I have. Any suggestions as to how I might otherwise fix this problem? Or is reinstalling my only option?

Thanks,
Joan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

I'm confused, so bear with me please. You had a site hosted by Microsoft as part of a Beta project, which you can no longer access because it is password protected. What does that have to do with uninstalling and reinstalling? What are you proposing to uninstall and reinstall? Are you hosting the web pages on your own computer, or on one of Microsoft's servers somewhere?

#3 joalrabr

joalrabr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:04 PM

I'm confused, so bear with me please. You had a site hosted by Microsoft as part of a Beta project, which you can no longer access because it is password protected. What does that have to do with uninstalling and reinstalling? What are you proposing to uninstall and reinstall? Are you hosting the web pages on your own computer, or on one of Microsoft's servers somewhere?

Something Microsoft did caused me not to be able to access my web site on my computer or on the web to edit. After I canceled when I bring the site up on my computer I am asked for a password. I never password protected so therefore I don't have a password to access my information or the ability to publish with a new host.

Can I somehow get arouond or through the password (whatever it may be) to get to my documents or do I have to start over?

Because the site that is protected has a domain attached to it my computer won't let me save another document with the same domain attached I don't think. Is my only choice going to be to dump and reinstall?

Joan

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

If the website is on your own computer, there is nothing Microsoft can do to prevent that unless they were responsible for handling the domain name resolution. If the web site is on your computer, there is nothing Microsoft can do to mess with that. Let's start from square one, shall we. Is the website on your own computer, or Microsoft's? (Let's start there).

#5 joalrabr

joalrabr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:10 PM

They were responsible for handling the domain name resolution.

But anyway, the site is only on my computer now as far as I know. It definitely isn't on the internet. I was given a 90 day grace period so that I "can re-instate just in case you may have the need to access it again and back up all information in your website or email account. " I have everything though.

I do appreciate your help. Thanks loads,
Joan

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:21 AM

You can handle the domain name resolution yourself, as long as you own a domain name. Places like no-ip.com and afraid.org allow you to do this. At afraid.org, you can piggy back a domain on the back of of someone else's domain and do not need to buy your own domain.

Anyway, if the web pages are on your system, there is no way you can be prevented from accessing them by simply opening them in notepad, or another html editor. Given your description of the 90 grace period, it sort of sounds like they were hosting your pages though.

#7 joalrabr

joalrabr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:34 PM

The problem isn't who is or isn't hosting. I have a new host etc. I'm very clear about domain and all of that stuff. It's all under control.

The problem is - when I open FrontPage and I open the dialogue box and I click bytheindigorabbit.com the typical Windows Password dialog box pops up and asks for a username and a password. I never password protected the web site on my computer so therefore I have no username or password to enter. And even though it is not good practice, I use the same username and password for everything with only a minor variance occasionally. I've entered every combination possible for what I would have assigned to it.

I just need to know if somehow I can get around the password protection to access what I need and get my site back on line or is my only alternative dumping everything and reinstalling FrontPage? And I guess the second question would be, can I overwrite or do I have to delete and do a clean installation of FrontPage?

Thanks,
Joan

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:53 PM

Ok, that explains things much better (I really wasn't trying to insult your intelligence, but rather displaying the lack of mine at times :thumbsup: ). Seems really strange that an application on your computer would suddenly require a password where none was required before. I'll look around and see if I can help you locate a resource more helpful than I am.

#9 joalrabr

joalrabr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

That's o.k. No problem. The origin of the problem is a little complicated and difficult to explain and really quite unbelievable. Especially when the root of the problem came from Microsoft. I've been a little dismayed.

I really, really appreaciate anything you can find out.

Thanks,
Joan

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:24 PM

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have been looking around a little, and I didn't find anyone with the same problem that you describe. I found a couple of posts where passwords ceased to work, but that isn't the case here. In short, I can't find any way to get around password protected projects. What I can tell you of software in general is that simply uninstalling and re-installing the application is not enough to remove passwords. If you think about it, if it were that easy, then one could install a trial edition of an application, use it until the trial ran out, then remove it and reinstall it again. There would never be a need to buy full applications.

When I create applications that are password dependent, one of the first things the installer does is to see if there was a previous installation of the application. It can do this by checking the registry, or for the existence of special 'hidden' files. If it finds them, then it knows that there was a previous installation. If it doesn't find them, then it creates new ones. Apart from programming the application yourself, the only way you are going to know what was changed when you installed the application is to monitor your system for all changes.

For the people that were having problems with corrupted passwords, the suggestion was to refactor or rebuild there projects. I am not familiar with FrontPage, but I would think that one would need to have the project open in order to rebuild it?

That's about as much help as I can find. :thumbsup:

#11 joalrabr

joalrabr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:08 PM

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have been looking around a little, and I didn't find anyone with the same problem that you describe. I found a couple of posts where passwords ceased to work, but that isn't the case here. In short, I can't find any way to get around password protected projects. What I can tell you of software in general is that simply uninstalling and re-installing the application is not enough to remove passwords. If you think about it, if it were that easy, then one could install a trial edition of an application, use it until the trial ran out, then remove it and reinstall it again. There would never be a need to buy full applications.

When I create applications that are password dependent, one of the first things the installer does is to see if there was a previous installation of the application. It can do this by checking the registry, or for the existence of special 'hidden' files. If it finds them, then it knows that there was a previous installation. If it doesn't find them, then it creates new ones. Apart from programming the application yourself, the only way you are going to know what was changed when you installed the application is to monitor your system for all changes.

For the people that were having problems with corrupted passwords, the suggestion was to refactor or rebuild there projects. I am not familiar with FrontPage, but I would think that one would need to have the project open in order to rebuild it?

That's about as much help as I can find. :flowers:

No need to apologize. You are so kind to have taken the time to search for an answer. Finally I've got the problem solved :thumbsup:

If I had told you exactly what the dialog with the password protection said you would have probably figured it out. And what it said was -

The server bytheindigorabbit.com at requires a username and password.
Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password
be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure
connection).

The key word being 'server'. So, I contacted the new host and started asking questions. The protection was coming from the new host and I had been given an FTP password to use in case I chose that route to publish. The password is different by one character and this one instance is probably the only time I will ever have used it. (It did take the tech. guy about an hour to figure out)

Thanks again,
Joan

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:47 PM

:thumbsup:

Oh well, at least the problem is solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users