Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Boot My Laptop ... Please Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnny13oi

johnny13oi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:03 AM

Hey guys, I installed windows on the hard drive from a different system and transferred the hard drive over to the laptop because the laptop has no cd drive. Well, it doesn't load into windows at all and when I try to load into safe mode, it just stops after loading the file Mup.sys. It loads up fine on the desktop, could anyone help me please. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:38 AM

The reason it won't boot is that when you installed Windows it automatically detected the hardware (mother board, network card, DVD drive, etc) on the computer you were using and set up the drivers etc for that hardware. Now you have switched the drive over it doesn't recognise the new hardware. The only way around this I can think of is to get hold of a USB CD drive that you can connect to the laptop and do a repair install of XP.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 johnny13oi

johnny13oi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:46 AM

The laptop I have is a really old Portege 2000 and it doesn't allow booting from a USB CD. Is there a way to load files onto the hard drive to make it boot into DOS and start the installation from there. Because I can copy files onto the hard drive, it's starting the installation that's hard as I have no means of booting because I have no USB cd or floppy. I tried making a bootable flash drive but that doesn't work either. What files would I need to have the computer automatically boot into DOS?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,519 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:49 AM

See if this article helps.

Install Windows XP without floppy or cd drives
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 johnny13oi

johnny13oi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:51 AM

thank you, i think you have just saved me. how does one go about removing dos and the dual boot screen?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,519 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:24 AM

To remove the dual-boot screen I think you will have to edit the boot.ini file.

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 johnny13oi

johnny13oi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:43 PM

thank you so much for all the help. I have tried a few other computer forums and this one is the one that helped the most. I will probably post here more often. And also, how do you convert the drive from fat32 to ntfs. I always did it when installing windows but I have never done it with an OS already on it. Is it possible to do so? And are there instructions already online?

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:46 PM

How to Convert FAT32 to NTFS

Edited by usasma, 17 May 2007 - 04:47 PM.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users