Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shrink / Partitioning Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mizerydearia

mizerydearia

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:44 PM

I have a 140gb hard drive
The hard drive is currently partitioned into two 70gb partitions (how I received it :: laptop)
I want to partition the first partition into two 35gb partitions (i.e. 35gb | 35gb | 70gb)

Administrative Tools -> Computer Management
Storage -> Disk Management

My initial attempt at shrinking the first 70gb partition to 35gb, the corresponding Shrink dialog allowed me to shrink to a max of ~31gb. I wanted 35gb. I backed up 12gb of files onto the 2nd 70gb partition thinking that more space would allow for a larger shrink. Attempting to shrink afterwards, 29gb was max. I deleted temp files and even the hibernate file, and 28gb was the new max. Making more space didn't work, so I thought maybe if I fill the drive with data, I would get the result I was looking for (yeah right). I restored some of the 12gb of backup data and attempted a reShrink. Now 27gb is max. I'm confused, but I have an idea as to why I'm experiencing these issues. I'm just not sure what it is called in Vista. Like other users, I've defragmented. Still no success.

I've searched this forum before posting, and the other relevant threads regarding this issue weren't of any assistance. None of them were solved actually. Maybe I missed something?

The single hard drive in my laptop is Basic (not Dynamic)
The first partition is 70.77GB.
52.6GB are free.

That should be plenty of space to create a 35gb partition (by Shrinking)

Any ideas?

No success with this issue even on the official ms forums

Edited by mizerydearia, 17 May 2007 - 12:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:12 AM

Where is your Vista installation?
Would it be possible to remove (temporarily,) all the files on the partition and then "delete" the volume and remake the two partitions of your choice?
Be a little cautious.Laptops, as you may know, often have a hidden partition/directory, holding all the original installation. (I believe you can press ALT F10 on start up or similar, to recover your laptop. That may be what is causing your problem.

#3 mizerydearia

mizerydearia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:48 AM

Where is your Vista installation?
Would it be possible to remove (temporarily,) all the files on the partition and then "delete" the volume and remake the two partitions of your choice?
Be a little cautious.Laptops, as you may know, often have a hidden partition/directory, holding all the original installation. (I believe you can press ALT F10 on start up or similar, to recover your laptop. That may be what is causing your problem.

My Vista installation is on the first partition of the only hard drive in the laptop. In windows it is referenced/configured as "c:\." I did push alt+f10 during the boot sequence, and was prompted with a system restore.

I may just format the drive entirely and install xp/gentoo otherwise.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:20 AM

Vista won't allow you to "shrink" a partition over an area that contains data - so after removing all that stuff you'll have to defragment your hard drive. Depending on the tool that you use, you should be able to move most of the stuff to the beginning of the hard drive - BUT, if system files are stored further out on the drive, you most likely won't be able to move them.

If it's your pagefile that's causing the issue - then set the system to run with no pagefile, reboot and recreate the pagefile (after removing everything else) and this "may" move it closer to the rest of the data.

Please be aware that the requirements for Vista specify that you have a 40 gB hard drive - so this may impact your Vista installation significantly

I'd suggest a good defragmentation utility that will let you know what is where on your disk. I have used VoptXP to locate the files on different parts of the hard disk. I presume that their Vista compatible version will have this ability also - and I think that they have a free trial at their website: http://www.goldenbow.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:25 AM

At least one program that will allow you to "shrink" an active, data filled partiton is:

Acronis' Disk Director Suite 10.

The latest build is Vista capable.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users