Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xtdg134

xtdg134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

My computer lately has been restarting with out warning. No blue screen of death. it's not freezing, it's just restarting. Also, the hosts file in WINDOWS/System32/Drivers/etc has become a permanent note pad file, rather than what ever it normally is...I'm not really all that computer literate, I just used the host file to keep my niece of off myspace, as she has a tendency to download things she doesn't need to be downloading. Do you guys have any idea how to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:43 AM

Check in the event viewer for any error messages at the time of the restarts.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:53 AM

By permanent Notepad file, do you mean that it has a file extension of .txt? If so, make a backup copy and then remove the .txt extension from the original.

This may not be your only problem tho' - it could be that:
1) You're infected
2) That your niece has learned a way to workaround your precautions and has either hosed your system, or has downloaded something (which brings us back to 1) :thumbsup:

I'd suggest these free, online scans for your system to ensure that your system is clean:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

If you come up clean, then we can delve further into the realm of how to prevent this. It's fairly easy to do - but the kids today are smart, so it'll be a constant battle!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users