Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phillips Dvd+rw 8801 16x

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mandal54

mandal54

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

First of all Thank you for this site I have had one problem solved and its a real blessing. I lost my Dvd/cd drive i have a 1 year old dell deminison e310 xp. i went to the device manager and uninstalled, updated and did everything i could but i get a little (I) next to the drive in the manager and it tells me I may have corructed files code 39. I thought i would be able to just find another driver at Dell, phillips or microsoft and just download a new driver, but it has been diffucult to find i found a help page at microsoft and it explains two methods 1 is to uninstall all my audio/video media and the other option is to change the registry YIKES ! do you have any recommendtations?

Thanks
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:44 AM

By uninstalling the drive and cycling the power on and off and reinstalling the drive the hardware wizard should recognize it as "found new hardware" and look for an appropriate driver/s for it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mandal54

mandal54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:39 AM

By uninstalling the drive and cycling the power on and off and reinstalling the drive the hardware wizard should recognize it as "found new hardware" and look for an appropriate driver/s for it.

Thank you so much for your help, however I've tried that serveral times the add hardware box come up with a message
WINDOWS CANNOT LOAD DRIVER CORRUCPTED OR MISSING CODE 39. Any other sugguestions?

thanks
Mandal.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:42 AM

HERE'S a list of drivers/firmware updates for your series computer right from Dell. There's a few things that list "CD Drive" that you might want to try.

Oh, if your computer is still under warranty then you can call Dell and they should help you. If it's out of warranty, then that's a last thing you want to do because they'll charge you an arm and a leg for over the phone tech support! :thumbsup:

Lemme do some searching for some drivers for you.....

EDIT: What program are you using to burn info to the drive with?

Edited by stevealmighty, 18 May 2007 - 08:58 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 mandal54

mandal54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:16 PM

HERE'S a list of drivers/firmware updates for your series computer right from Dell. There's a few things that list "CD Drive" that you might want to try.

Oh, if your computer is still under warranty then you can call Dell and they should help you. If it's out of warranty, then that's a last thing you want to do because they'll charge you an arm and a leg for over the phone tech support! :thumbsup:

Lemme do some searching for some drivers for you.....

EDIT: What program are you using to burn info to the drive with?

I have Roxio but I mainly just use windows media and I think I've used the DLA feature. Thanks so much

Mike.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:55 PM

Try uninstalling everything that deals with sonic (specially the DLA feature), restart your computer, then go into Add and Remove programs and uninstall your DVD drive. Restart your computer again, and windows should re-install the DVD drive. I've read where the DLA feature has caused the same issues that you're having, but also read where that it's hit or miss with uninstalling sonic and DLA will fix it or not. Let's hope it works for you. Be sure that you have sonic on a CD some place so that you can re-install it if you need/want to (or that you can download it from someplace).

Let me know how this works for you. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 mandal54

mandal54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:24 AM

Try uninstalling everything that deals with sonic (specially the DLA feature), restart your computer, then go into Add and Remove programs and uninstall your DVD drive. Restart your computer again, and windows should re-install the DVD drive. I've read where the DLA feature has caused the same issues that you're having, but also read where that it's hit or miss with uninstalling sonic and DLA will fix it or not. Let's hope it works for you. Be sure that you have sonic on a CD some place so that you can re-install it if you need/want to (or that you can download it from someplace).

Let me know how this works for you. :flowers:

Thanks so much. This morning I went to the dell site and just took a shot at 1 of the drivers and it worked :trumpet:
I should have know a guy from upstate NY would have the answer :thumbsup: I was born in Dunkirk NY.

thanks
Mike.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

Glad to hear you've got this solved! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users