Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Counterspy Alternatives?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 VirusHunter

VirusHunter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:18 PM

I've been using CounterSpy for a few months now, but recently it has been very bugged and causing many BSOD whenever I went into the control panel. I thought I solved the problem when I installed some missed drivers but the BSOD are back again with a vengeance and CounterSpy is the culprit. I know this because when ever I turn off the active protection I'm able to freely navigate the control panel BSOD-free.

What I'm looking for in particular is something like the EXE monitor that is included with CounterSpy. I just did a search but didn't find anything decent which is why I'm posting here.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:39 AM

XoftSpy SE, AdAdware and SpyBot are good tools

#3 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:47 AM

XoftSpy SE, AdAdware and SpyBot are good tools

Yeah, do you know some good Anti-virus that is good and for free and that has a good description of what virus you have ?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

Free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one)
AVG Anti-Virus Free - AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manual
Avast - How to Install, Configure, and Use
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
Active Virus Shield - How to Install, Configure, and Use

XoftSpy is an program that was previously listed as a rogue on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware List because of concerns with false positives, questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising. It has been been de-listed as a rogue because the vendor has taken some actions to correct these concerns. (scroll down and read the Note on this application). I am still skeptical and would only recommend a progam with a proven track record like those mentioned in Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:21 AM

I've been using CS 1.5 and the new CS 2.0 for awhile now with absolutely no problems on a box with Comodo FW and Avast anti-virus. It's highly likely it is conflicting with some other realtime program you have on board. Have you considered posting about the problem over on the CastleCops dedicated CS forum? Eric Howes, a top-level programmer/developer, replies to many of the posts himself. There they can perhaps diagnose your particular setup issues & what may be causing the problem. If it is truly a bug, Eric will get developers to working on a fix ASAP. CS is an excellent realtime program. I would reconsider dumping it & seek assistance for what might be causing the BSOD's. JMO
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#6 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:23 PM

Free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one)
AVG Anti-Virus Free - AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manual
Avast - How to Install, Configure, and Use
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
Active Virus Shield - How to Install, Configure, and Use

XoftSpy is an program that was previously listed as a rogue on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware List because of concerns with false positives, questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising. It has been been de-listed as a rogue because the vendor has taken some actions to correct these concerns. (scroll down and read the Note on this application). I am still skeptical and would only recommend a progam with a proven track record like those mentioned in Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products.

First, what is XoftSpy? Is it a rouge Antimalware? Is it good ?
And then, when I search on the web after spyware, I'm often getting more results, but
I've to pay if I want to remove these viruses, are they just trying to fool me ? :thumbsup:

#7 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:49 PM

Below are some good free antispyware programs you can download and install:

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#8 VirusHunter

VirusHunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:37 PM

Thank you all for your help. I knew I wouldn't have trouble getting answers here.

First, I think I'm going to take buttoni's advice and investigate this BSOD issue before I write off CounterSpy. Thanks buttoni for the suggestion.

I also came across a program called "Spyware Terminator". Has anyone heard of it?

Thanks again everybody. :thumbsup:

#9 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:42 PM

I used it for awhile & it has some useful features but you would be better off using SUPERAntiSpyware IMO. If you work out your issues with Counterspy, the free version of SAS would be a very good addition to your computer. If your issues with Counterspy are not resolved to your satisfaction, the paid SAS would definately be worth looking into.

#10 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:36 AM

Spysentinel - do you recommend me to install all four programs or just one of them ?

#11 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:48 PM

ItWouldRuin, For the best protection, I would install all four
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#12 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

Spysentinel - OK, thanks. Is it good to run those all program at once ?
By the way, is it any good protection against virus written in html-format ? :thumbsup:

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:13 PM

Ad-aware, Spybot S&D and SuperAntispyware are actual scanners and you should do your scans one at a time. You will probably get better results scanning in "SAFE MODE".

SpywareBlaster is a program that blocks spyware tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox. It also restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to Internet Explorer's Restricted Sites Zone. SB does not run in the background. Instead it only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates and then enable all protection again.

SpywareGuard is a real-time protection tool that monitors certain events and then acts to notify you that these events are taking place rather than prevent specific threats. SpywareGuard will notify you of any event attempt to change the browser home page - it makes no judgment on whether the change is good or bad but leaves the decision up to you to allow or deny it.

SpywareGuard does not require constant definition updates because its detection abilities use a heuristic (rule-based) engine engine. Normally, for an Anti-Virus product to detect a virus, the virus must have been seen before, analyzed and detection added to the signature update files. Heuristics are used since there are some families of viruses that continually change their appearance and it is not possible to detect every variant. Heuristics allows setting up a defined set of rules so if it looks like a virus, and acts like a virus it can be detected, even if the virus has never been seen before. SpywareGuard uses this same approach for detecting spyware. Further, SpywareGuard's strongest protection is its Browser Hijacking Protection, which does not require any sort of definition updates. The last update was 1/22/04.

Edited by quietman7, 21 May 2007 - 12:21 PM.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

Ad-aware, Spybot S&D and SuperAntispyware are actual scanners and you should do your scans one at a time. You will probably get better results scanning in "SAFE MODE".

SpywareBlaster is a program that blocks spyware tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox. It also restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to Internet Explorer's Restricted Sites Zone. SB does not run in the background. Instead it only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates and then enable all protection again.

SpywareGuard is a real-time protection tool that monitors certain events and then acts to notify you that these events are taking place rather than prevent specific threats. SpywareGuard will notify you of any event attempt to change the browser home page - it makes no judgment on whether the change is good or bad but leaves the decision up to you to allow or deny it.

SpywareGuard does not require constant definition updates because its detection abilities use a heuristic (rule-based) engine engine. Normally, for an Anti-Virus product to detect a virus, the virus must have been seen before, analyzed and detection added to the signature update files. Heuristics are used since there are some families of viruses that continually change their appearance and it is not possible to detect every variant. Heuristics allows setting up a defined set of rules so if it looks like a virus, and acts like a virus it can be detected, even if the virus has never been seen before. SpywareGuard uses this same approach for detecting spyware. Further, SpywareGuard's strongest protection is its Browser Hijacking Protection, which does not require any sort of definition updates. The last update was 1/22/04.

Wow, great post ! Thanks.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:56 AM

Your welcome. :thumbsup: