Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell C521 Low-profile System

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

I am trying to locate a wireless adapter card for this system, trouble is, the case is a low profile design, so expansion slots are, well low profile.....lol. That is, shorter than usual.
I have combed most major networking manufacture's websites with no luck, not even NewEgg has a listing.
Is this case design that new that such an item does not exist yet?
:thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:09 PM

No, however I cannot find a wireless adapter to fit a slimlline case. Why not just use an USB wireless adapter?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:16 AM

No, however I cannot find a wireless adapter to fit a slimlline case. Why not just use an USB wireless adapter?

Thanks for the response bud,
I had started another subject on this elsewhere in this area earlier, probably should of continued there..........
Used a USB adapter ( Netgear ) as well a Netgear wireless router, which worked OK sometimes, for the most part , though, I would lose internet access for no reason at all..........very frustrating............
Another member suggested that I go with an expansion adapter instead..........I did buy one from compusa, however is is the regular size expansion slot device. I suppose that I could modify it to fit in my slot, a secure connection into the MOBO is an issue tho...........
Is it just Dell that is running this form factor??

:thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:33 AM

Hp and compaq and just about every retail pc maker have, at one point or another. Finding a card _wow_ that is a different story. I could not find that length slot cover on any site. I have used usb adapters on slimline pcs before, with good results. several things make sure that the router if physically located 5 to 8 feet off the ground, dont try to go more than 50 to 75 feet, try not to transmit through more than three walls, make sure that the receiving antenna is at least 5 feet off the ground, and buildings with metal framing cause virtually no reception. Try this web site its great: http://www.freeantennas.com/
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:31 PM

I'd check some of the local retailers and see if they'll let you crack open a few boxes - I seem to recall that there's at least one major manufacturer with a 1/2 height adapter included in the package.

Worst case, find a cheap card (they'll be smaller) and see if you can bend the case back adapter to fit.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users