Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Problem Getting Rid Of An Annoyance.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cyclomega

Cyclomega

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:35 PM

Ok, so basically, not too long ago, I acquired some sort of virus/trojan, etc. Usually, I'm not worried about this kind of stuff, because nothing gets through my firewall and router.

The problem with this one lies with getting rid of it. Basically, on IE, I will randomly get pop-ups all the time. This led me to believe it's ad-ware, and I have done many spyware and virus checks to prove this, as well as there being a trojan, which, if I can remember correctly, went by the name of Matrixhasyou, or something along that line.

Anyway, I delete these. Seeing as how the "trojan" was found through a Lavasoft's Ad-Aware program, I use F-Prot do do a virus check. Most of the stuff found is in Temp, or Temporary Internet Files, which I constantly clean or delete. The thing is, whenever a popup happens again, (which it does, regardless of what I delete), everything returns, and I have to delete again.

Only recently, however, have I decided to find out how to delete the packed files, which F-Prot says could be infected. These are located in the Content.IE5 folder in Temporary Internet Files. Now, thinking I have solved the problem, I return to IE, only to find popups again.

Now, I have had similar problems a couple installs of windows ago, with Casale Media popups. Currently, I am using Mozilla Firefox, which has no such problems, which leads me to believe that the problem has somehow infected IE.

Any help regarding this issue would be good, because for some programs I need to run, I can only log on to their site through IE, and that makes the popups happen again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:44 PM

Hello and welcome,

Have you considered downloading hijackthis http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php and submitting the log to the hijackthis team http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ If your system has any malware it will soon be gone.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Dutchly

Dutchly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:58 AM

Same exact thing I just dealt with. Used a shareware called Vundofix.exe . The trojan name is Virtumonde. Do a google and read up on what it does and then google this Vundofix.exe. Its a small program that attacks only this trojan but it worked for me.

Dutchly

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:24 AM

There are various types of malware that will produce similar symptoms (pop ups) so it may or may not be vundo related.

BTW, vundofix is not shareware which is distributed free on a trial basis with the understanding that the user may need pay for it at a later time if deciding to keep it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users