Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello everyone, I'm new to this board

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alfalfa9

alfalfa9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 08:48 PM

Hi everybody, I just joined today. I have a little experience with computers, and am hoping to learn more, especially concerning security concerns, and also Linux. I don't have any experience with Linux, but have managed to successfully install on one of my computers, and gain internet access and connect a printer. Linux is pretty cool (free), but quite intimidating to me.
Anyway, my name's Frank, I live near San Francisco. My other interests include raising tropical fish (discus), physical fitness, travel (thailand) photography, etc. Well, that's it for now, I will go on to peruse the topics now. Thanks for having me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:03 PM

Howdy alfalfa9 Frank,
I'm phawgg-Joe.
I live on the west coast to the north of you,
near Tacoma, Washington.

I enjoy/despise politics. (new governor was sworn in yesterday, amid protest) :thumbsup:
I enjoy photography & graphics.
I like/dislike microsoft windowsXP pro(foundly)
I like/dislike online activities (mainly the dislike is for malware in general)
I like welcoming you to a great place to polish those computing skills! :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:50 PM

Welcome to BC Frank!

I have never used linux maybe when you get good at it you can show me around?

If you have a question then just ask! Hope to see you around Frank!

PS Frank, I live in South Carolina on a farm. If you want some cow pictures just ask me. Send me a pm if you want some.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:42 PM

You will want, no doubt, to check out the Linux forum. I am sure if you post questions there, linux users will be able to share some of their experience with you and answer your questions.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 alfalfa9

alfalfa9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:51 PM

hello austin and phawgg. thanks a lot for your welcome to this board. austin, as soon as I find out some stuff about linux, i'll be happy to share the info. I got a set of 5 cds on ebay for 9 dollars, that includes the 3 cd installation of red hat 9 as well as a linux tutorial cd and a knoppix cd. knoppix is a version of linux that will run from cd on your windows computer. that way, you can see if you like the look and feel of it before going thru the big hassle of installing it. it's actually pretty cool looking, and has lots of free apps which substitute for the expensive windows apps. for example, openoffice, which is a direct replacement for microsoft office suite. (FREE). I think the openoffice documents will even open in microsoft office, and vice versa. if it's free, it's for me! anyway, I will let you know of further developments.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 11:08 PM

Knoppix is a great way to learn Linux without making the installation commitment. And OpenOffice.org is almost completely compatible with MS Office (there are some advanced formatting that may require some effort to translate) and works in Windows, too. There will be an updated version of OpenOffice.org very soon that will expand and enhance it's database functionality.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Tedrick

Tedrick

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

Hey everyone. Glad I found this forum. Newbie to Linux, heard about this forum from Podnutz Daily. Looking forward to good gouge and info. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users